Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok medio entendi tenkiu

Comment

Always run 50-50 mix antifreeze-water. It will protect to lower temp and to higher temp. Though I do seem to remember you get tiny bit more protection if you run 60-40, but not very much more and at greater cost. Get a $2 antifreeze tester if you use regular ethylene glycol antifreeze. Need special tester if you use the low tox propylene glycol antifreeze. I had a dog die of antifreeze poisoning and now always spend the extra for propylene glycol antifreeze. You can mix them, but you lose the low tox properties. Really need to flush the system, and then only use the low tox stuff. Otherwise just wasting your money.

Also always test the system after changing your coolant. I once bought gallon of Wallywart antifreeze that was supposed to be the concentrated kind you mix with water. When I tested it, only protected to like 10F. Apparently their supplier put the pre-diluted in the concentrate jugs. I was not amused and of course Walmart denied all responsibility, basically told me I was lying and to go pound sand. Never bought store brand antifreeze again. Nor any auto supplies from Wally. Thats what you get for lying and then doing the denial thing. I'd completely avoid Wally for everything, except that would make life lot more difficult since few alternatives for some things locally.

Well now since I use the low tox, choice is very limited, and I get the Prestone low tox off Amazon since the local stores no longer carry it. Most people wont pay the little bit extra for it. You ever see an animal die from antifreeze poisoning, you would spend the extra! It should be the only kind sold and cost would come way down.

Comment

I've run straight coolant for decades now and never had a problem that wasn't there before I got the car. You have to realize that the car companies are more run by both oil companies ad marketing people- and their main intent is always to sell more product.. I recall when they started selling pre-mixed instead of pure coolant and it seemed a pricing turkey shoot for a lot of people who don't know anything about cars or rusting. I'm of a mind that apart from just having a theory about something like that, the marketing interests in fact will incorporate into their strategies things to actually hurt the chances off long life in your car. It is the water in the anti-freeze that rusts the heater core, not the coolant, and if the systems leaks it likely gets full of water more all the time. If you have the option when buying a car, don't buy one that has a low mix of coollant or any orange color at all- and there are a lot of rusty systems to be found.

Sometimes you have to stay a step ahead of prevailing sentiment or thought when it's been purposely corrupted.
        Last edited by harpon; 11-26-2015, 07:29 PM.

Comment

heater hoses conection on festiva 89

Originally posted by harpon View Post
          I've run straight coolant for decades now and never had a problem that wasn't there before I got the car. You have to realize that the car companies are more run by both oil companies ad marketing people- and their main intent is always to sell more product.. I recall when they started selling pre-mixed instead of pure coolant and it seemed a pricing turkey shoot for a lot of people who don't know anything about cars or rusting. I'm of a mind that apart from just having a theory about something like that, the marketing interests in fact will incorporate into their strategies things to actually hurt the chances off long life in your car. It is the water in the anti-freeze that rusts the heater core, not the coolant, and if the systems leaks it likely gets full of water more all the time. If you have the option when buying a car, don't buy one that has a low mix of coollant or any orange color at all- and there are a lot of rusty systems to be found.

Sometimes you have to stay a step ahead of prevailing sentiment or thought when it's been purposely corrupted.
          Water has the ability to take away 4 times as much heat as straight antifreeze per unit. If you have a capable and properly functioning cooling system and dont push your car to its limits straight coolant will work. However if you work it really hard for a long enough period you will create hot spots in your engine and boil it. The B3 block has a design that limits that compared to say a civic though. Also newer vehicles are designed to run with the bare minimum of coolant for maximum fuel efficiency and warm up time. Anything out of the ordinary and they will overheat- that includes running straight glycol.
          Also if you use the old style green coolant in a 2001-2005 honda civic it will wreck things- water pumps especially, you have to use the honda coolant which ONLY comes premixed. They used to sell 1 quart jugs of concentrate to thicken up your premix but they said on them DO NOT MIX WITH WATER! My new water pump lasted under a year with the green coolant. Nothing economical about that. Running straight coolant works for you- good. Just be careful about blanket statements or recommending it to others who's applications are different. It may work in a daily driver B3 for you but be the sole cause of death of someones BPT running 20psi of boost in LeMons or something.
          I completely agree with you about car companies not looking for their vehicles to last long and designing them to fail, i just know that straight glycol isn't always the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by ryanprins13; 11-26-2015, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Ok . Buscare ese antifreze low tox. Amigos . Ya encontre las mangueras y si estan conectadas al heater core . P eo no calienta. Cual sera el problema. Gracias

Comment

Working...
            X