Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1990 Festiva doesn't start consistently and stalls while driving slow occasionally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harpon, thanks for your reply and info. Given the consistent testing I've done with the key in different positions, noting dash lights on or off, stalling when put into reverse and/or using the turn signal, and starting and not staying started (I'm not "crankin" it - it starts, then stops as soon as the key is in the Run position.), it has to be the ignition switch/wiring. I think I posted earlier on this thread that I installed new plugs and wires, so I know it's not that. I think I am on the right path, just trying to get brave enough to tear into the ignition. Thanks again. ps. I love the '49 Willys Wagon. Wanna trade?
    Last edited by SLW in Oregon; 02-01-2016, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Clean your battery cables..

Comment

I know the original post was 3 years ago, but wanted to write an update. The problem WAS the ignition switch. I sprayed wd-40 inside the key slot. Also, when starting the engine - after it starts, I immediately back the key off, turning it towards me [counter clockwise] a bit. Between doing that and the lube, it worked well for 3 years. Last month it began to have trouble starting. No problem. More wd-40. After a couple days, it is back to starting and running normal. I do still turn the key back a bit after starting. FYI

Comment

Working...
        X