No announcement yet.

91 Festiva cranks over but won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will keep searching for a way to test it. Thanks for your replies and I will post what I find.

Comment

Two ways to check the CPS - One is build the tester described in the sticky at the top of the Repair section (EFI Distributor Tester). The other is to have the Y/BL wire on the distributor plug disconnected (so it's disconnected from the ECA according to the manual); then, while cranking the engine, check for 1.5 volts between the distributor terminal for that wire and ground.
      When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Thanks Tooldude. I will give it a try.

Comment

Tooldude .109 with the key off and .501 turning the engine over.

Comment

Just to be clear, that test is done with only the Y/BL wire disconnected from the distributor (or the ECA connector is disconnected). If you got those readings that way, then unplug the distributor connector and check key-on voltage between the Y/BK terminal and vehicle ground. Then check voltage between the Y/BK terminal and BK terminal (distributor Gnd). Technically, both readings should be within a few tenths of battery terminal voltage or you have excessive voltage drop, but the requirement is to be over 10V. If those voltages are ok, then the CPS is faulty. I assume that 0.5V is too low to trigger the ECA circuitry or, when fed in, it's dropping even more. I believe the cranking voltage may also need to be above 10V for the test to be accurate.
            When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Tooldude, Yes the test was done with the Y/BL wire disconnected from the distributor.
              With the distributor plug disconnected I'm getting 11.9V between the Y/BK terminal and BK terminal, and very close to the same volts using the negative battery terminal for a ground.
              It looks like it's time to buy a new distributor. Thank you for your help and I will post the results!

Comment

Get 3 pal fuses for the fusible wires. 2 30a pink for outsides and 40a green for middle one. 5$ if not that check the roter in side the distributor cap. And the postes in the cap. Ps a roater and cap shouldnt be more than 30$ together.

Comment

I have the same problem with my 91 festiva did you figure out what's wrong with yours ?

Comment

I have the same problem with my 91 festiva did you figure out what's wrong with yours ?

Comment

Ok so I finally ordered a new distributor from Rockau__. After turning the engine over to TDC, I installed the new distributor. Hit the key and she fired right up, but the timing was way off. I could not turn the distributor enough to get it in time. I was stumped. So after taking a step back, I removed the new distributer and compared it to the old one. Sure enough when they pinned the tab/prong that drives the distributer, it was off. So I basically rebuilt my old distributer with the parts from the new distributer minus the shaft. I know that I could have sent it back for a refund/exchange, but I was ready to get my Festiva aka (Red Rocket) on the road! I want to thank everyone for their help and hopefully this thread will help someone else in the future.

Comment

I have had 2 distributors go out in the same way. Is it possible to purchase the guts to the distributor somewhere? Pickup coil or whatever?

Comment

You can purchase the CPS (crank position sensor) from a parts store.

Comment

Working...
                          X