Removing tie rods on '91 manual rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing tie rods on '91 manual rack

Does anyone know of a specific tool (or makeshift way) to remove the rolls pins from the blind hole in the manual rack so I can replace my Tie Rods?
    A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
    Instagram: jaredbear82

Shoew a picture of what you mean! I just replaced both inner and outer in my rack. I might be able to help you.
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Unscrewing the inner from the rack shaft will force the pins out. Don't scar the shaft!
      No car too fast !

Comment

Yep I just unscrew the rods like there not even there. Didn't even know they where their the first time I did mine.
        I use a pipe wrench on them though because I could not get enough leverage with a wrench.

Comment

It's easier with special tools, but not required. Good fitting wernch, wrench extension, and copper /brass hammer, aluminum vice jaws, it'll go
          No car too fast !

Comment

If I just unthread the tie rod, hoping it pushes out the roll pin, will I be able to put in the new pins?
            A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
            Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

Yes, after installing the new ( or used other) side rods, drill 6mm deep and fit new pins.
              No car too fast !

Comment

Working...
              X