Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

91 festiva started lurching in low gears then all gears wont stay running need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 festiva started lurching in low gears then all gears wont stay running need help

so i have a 91 festiva manual trans i was told that the engine was rebuilt within the last 2 years im concerned about how good of a job they might have done everything was running fine then all of a sudden first started lurching a bit thought it was operator error being this is my first time in years on a manual then 3rd and 4th assuming 5th too but car stoped staying running before i got to find out if i give it gas just right i can keep it revving to keep it running try put it in gear dies within seconds if i nail the gas otherwise dies immediatly not sure where to start troubleshooting at this point any suggestions are greatly appreciated thanks

Did you check your transmission fluid level? Are you 100% sure you have enough gas and the gauge didnt just stop working? Did it happen very soon after you filled up that it could be a bad tank of gas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

so far i disconnected the battery for aprox 10 min to try and reset any ECM issues note that didn't work will not idle if the rpms die down the engine die with them

Comment

yup gas is good ill look into the trans fluid level

Comment

While your checking the trans fluid level have a look for any vaccum hoses that have cracked or come off. Or the accordion section of the intake tubing likes to split underneath. So check that too.

Comment

IMG_0090.jpgIMG_0091.jpg

Comment

this look like the possible issue?

Comment

Originally posted by twitchy89 View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]19220[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19221[/ATTACH]
                Your first photo clearly shows a crack in the intake pipe. This allowing unmetered air into the system which is probably the main cause of your issues.
                Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada
                93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

man i feel kinda dumb lol i quick threw a little plastic wrap around it started up like a dream thanks guys

Comment

Glad you figured it out How was the transmission fluid? Its good to check. A slow leak can empty it pretty quick and sieze the transmission.

Comment

All good

Comment

I had the accordion section of the intake tubing crack on my car. It made the car run rough and cough. This should be checked on a regular basis. I fixed it with electrical tape.

Comment

Good catch Ian!
                          - Form should follow function...

Comment

When It happened on my car the inside of the tubing was pretty full of mud, so i made sure to clean it out.

Comment

Working...
                            X