No announcement yet.

Still got the shakes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try swaying the car left to right when driving and see if that has any effect. If so I'd suspect steering or bearings.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

This is probobably a silly thought but the original post mentions new rims but not balancing. I went back to look but didn't re-read everything in between and forget if balancing has come up in the discussion.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I haven't had a problem with the Achilles tires being out of round enough to cause the "Festiva shakes" but a lot of the time that 60mph shake is caused by tires being out of round. Jack it up and spin them and check to make sure the tires are running true. 1/8 of an inch or less runout in either direction is normal, any more than that and the festiva will shake at 55-65.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I will check tir soon. I think its in the steering. Wheels were balanced! If i turn left or right it changes the effects. My rack is not centered yet either! So that might have some effect. I need to recenter the rack and recenter the wheel. Then i need to string the front wheel to the back wheel. The string the two front wheels.

Should have my drums done soon i hope. Im really looking to get this all taken care of before i start on the b6t swap.
          1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
          1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
          1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
          19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Were the tires balanced on a road force machine? Mine balance out fine but still have excessive road force.
            Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

I might try to swap the tires around tonight see if that helps out any
              1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
              1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
              1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

When I do my toe alignment, I try to center the rack first, so I get it in the air, count the turns from lock to lock, and then try to get it right in the middle of those, then use the seat belt to hold the wheel in place. You can clamp something heavy to the wheel at the six oclock position as well. Using your method, set the toe while in the air to get it close, lower, roll back and forth a few feet, bounce it before and after rolling, then use your level again to check and adjust to zero toe. You have to be sure that those levels you attach are as close as you can manage to being the same height off the ground and the ground you use is level itself.
                Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Im thinking its just the rear stock 12" tires now. I have looked over everything on the front. I have done dry weighted steering movements and i see nothing lose or worn out. All should be good in the front. I rod in the car over the weekend with my wife driving. I noticed the wobble or feeling is coming from the left rear. In the drivers set it feels like its the front 100% but once in the passenger seat its clear its the rear.

Im going to wait on getting my rear wheels on the go from there. The shop could not do an alignment due to mismatching rims (or so they said). Anyway im still working on getting my drums i need to redrill for 4x100.

I have ordered 8 drums total. One has come in correctly so far. I even got one drums the was 100% different/wrong. The last order that came in had one that was correct and one was not even close to the right drum.
                  1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Working...
                  X