Brake bleeding question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake bleeding question...

I had the brake system open for quite a while working on the project car and most, if not all, the fluid drained out. Should I bench bleed the master before bleeding the rest of the system?

Thanks
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

When I replaced all the metal brake lines from the combination valve to the wheels I didn't. If the top was not removed from the reservoir and the fluid level is still at the full mark I'd say no.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

If you are going to be bleeding the system by foot pumping, it might be worth bench bleeding the master. You could also try filling it up and letting it gravity bleed for a day or two.

Comment

^^^ this.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen!
          Last edited by fastivaca; 04-18-2016, 08:15 AM.
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada
          93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
          59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Working...
          X