Starter Pinion not Retracting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Pinion not Retracting

I suspect that the high pitched screeching noise that I'm hearing after I start Rosie
    is caused by the starter pinion not retracting after the engine starts.
    Has anyone had this problem before? What did yours sound like if you did?

This is happening just after I put a brand new short block engine in.
    Wish I had inspected the starter more closely when it was out and greased the bendix.
    Last edited by 1990new; 05-08-2016, 08:57 PM.

Isnt there a bearing on the clutch or transmission that squeals when it's on it's way out?

Comment

In answer to festivanoob.. I think you are probably referring to the clutch throw out bearing and yes it
      will make a similar noise but normally only when the clutch is depressed.

I removed the starter this morning and the noise is definitely the bendix gear getting stuck in the flex plate.
      (Sure is a lot harder to remove the starter from an automatic:gritteeth

You can see where the constant high speed turning of the gear on the pinion has turned it blue.

I took the starter to autozone a little while ago and it passed all the tests that their machine does.

So has anyone else had this problem and what did you do about it?
      Will putting some kind of lube on the pinion solve the problem? What kind of Lube?

Last edited by 1990new; 05-09-2016, 02:57 PM.

Comment

IIRC, this type has a spring in the solenoid to push the piston back after starting, with linkage to pull the armature/gear back (GM style). Try manually forcing it forward to see if it retracts. The piston could be sticking or the spring is bad, or the linkage hanging up. I don't remember if these starters have the thick spacer on the shaft for the gear to jam against, as some do. If so, it's missing on yours. There is a dark area showing on the shaft where it would go.
        When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Originally posted by tooldude View Post
          IIRC, this type has a spring in the solenoid to push the piston back after starting, with linkage to pull the armature/gear back (GM style). Try manually forcing it forward to see if it retracts. The piston could be sticking or the spring is bad, or the linkage hanging up. I don't remember if these starters have the thick spacer on the shaft for the gear to jam against, as some do. If so, it's missing on yours. There is a dark area showing on the shaft where it would go.
          I believe you are correct on multiple points. The bushings between the bendix and the pinion are so worn that it wobbles and the inside of the aluminum housing is gold colored from all the brass wearing off. I have another starter that is from a standard shift car.
          I took both of them apart and the innards of the standard shift starter look much better and the spring in the solenoid is also stronger.
          So I'm trying to switch the standard starter innards to the automatic starter housing.
          Problem now is How do I get the armature snout back in the housing. The brushes are on springs and don't appear to have a way to spring back my me just pushing it in.
          Any suggestions.
          If I can't get it back it, I guess I'll have to buy a rebuilt starter.

Also I looked up diagrams of the Mando direct drive starters and I'm calling things by the wrong names.
          What I was calling the bendix is the pinion gear. The bendix is the spiral gear that pushes the pinion gear out.
          Last edited by 1990new; 05-09-2016, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Figured out how to get the armature in.. had to remove the brush cap at the back and press the brushes back into their cages while inserting the armature.
            Switched the nose piece from the automatic starter to the manual starter that I had on the shelf.
            Took it to autozone, they tested it and said it passed all 3 tests.
            Came back home and installed it on Rosie, I turn the key and nothing happens.. try a couple times.
            I check the starter and the solenoid is very hot.
            So I just called autozone a little while ago.. they will have a rebuilt automatic
            starter for me at the local store at 11AM tomorrow.

Is that manual starter still trying to run the opposite directions?
            Last edited by 1990new; 05-09-2016, 08:27 PM.

Comment

It would crank either direction...
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                It would crank either direction...
                What makes the automatic starter rotate in the opposite direction than the manual starter?

Comment

You got it before I could get through typing a response. I believe there are holes on the brush holder for pins to keep the brushes recessed for installation.
                  When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

HELP...
                    I put the new starter on and it's doing the same thing. I tried loosening the bolts a little and wedged the end of a flat screwdriver in at the top but that only makes the clatter louder.
                    I'm thinking maybe the solenoid may still be remaining active and keeps the pinion gear pushed over.
                    Could that be possible?
                    Last edited by 1990new; 05-10-2016, 04:29 PM.

Comment

I have this same screech and I thought it was a belt that I needed to replace. My dad thinks its a belt and the reason it only makes the noise sometimes when I start the car is because it warms up after that.
                      92 Festiva L - bp & hydro g, advanced coilovers, aspire brake swapped

Comment

I've had this same problem on a ford ranger changed starter and same results as you I ended up redoing a ground wire that was Corroded and the problem quite I was told that if the starter doesn't spin fast enough it will hang up and not retract.
                        I'm not sure if that was really the problem or not but it did start to work after redoing the ground.

Comment

if the starter solenoid is remaining energised it will keep the starter gear in place on the ring gear. once the engine starts and you release the key it de-energizes the solenoid and the rpm of the engine at pushing the lower rpm start motor gear back out from the ring gear while the solenoid spring also work to retract the gear. have you checked to see there are no obstructions like the plate between the trans and engine being just a bit high and pushes pushes past but not cannot retract after starting? i have a rebuilt starter i am getting ready to put in my 93 auto festiva and the starter gear has to be pushed out to position where it would engage with the ring gear and pulls back immediately once i release it. possibly look at your key switch and the starting position may not be coming back and still energizing the solenoid. the original starter in the picture is toast with the shaft and gear bluing like that, you have de-tempered the metal and now that gear is soft along with the shaft and will weal like butter against the ring gear, just as a side note.

Comment

Thanks guys for the great info..
                            I made a switch for the black/red solenoid wire and cut the power immediately after star and made no difference.
                            So it looks like a mechanical problem The idea about the plate obstruction could be a possibility I guess, but the way it fit I didn't see much of a way for it to get out of place.. maybe though.
                            Rob, my retired mechanic neighbor stopped by this afternoon and took a look at it. He knew about shimming on older GM vehicle but said from the looks of the starter and the way it bolted on, he saw no way to shim it. He asked if it was possible to put the flex plat on backward or was there a spacer that might have been put in the wrong place. Here are some pictures of before and after.

After:

And as I'm looking at them... OH NO! please don't let it be....:crybaby: but it looks like it is.
                            Last edited by 1990new; 05-10-2016, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Yup, you did it...
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                              X