Hard start, won't idle and dies at WOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard start, won't idle and dies at WOT

My 1990 Festiva has been giving me nothing but problems since I got it. I rebuilt the engine so it at keast has compression, but now it seems to be plagued with electrical problems. It will start right away, but then die right after. It takes about 10 minutes of starting it and then pumping the throttle to keep it from dieing. After that, it won't idle and it dies if I go WOT. I probed the tps to see if it had the cirrect ref voltage and it did, but the sig wire was flipped with ground and had 12v on it. I suspect the computer, but after buying one off ebay it still does the same thing. So far I've replaced the computer, tps and ect to no avail. Does anyone have any other ideas?

I forgot to mention that I fixed tps pigtail and that the 12 volts on the sig terminal is coming from the computer. Is this normal or did I get a faulty computer?

Comment

Check that your intake tube from afm th throttle body is tight and leak free

Comment

Tps on the Festiva is a 3 position switch (idle run wot), not a potentiometer. Do as William suggests first and report.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Okay, I verified that there are no vacuum leaks from the tb to vaf. Still nothing. It does seem to run better with the ect unplugged, but I know it's good because I've replaced it twice already.

Comment

Working...
          X