No announcement yet.

Speedometer Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jess that is exactly what mine was doing... try pulling on the speedo cable from the engine side away from the cluster. Dont pull on it too hard but just put some tension on it, then look to see if the needle dropped down to zero.
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
      Jess that is exactly what mine was doing... try pulling on the speedo cable from the engine side away from the cluster. Dont pull on it too hard but just put some tension on it, then look to see if the needle dropped down to zero.
      Tried as you suggested Duke but it didn't make a difference. The odometer seems to be working fine. I'll pull the cluster out next week after Matthew passes, and hopefully doesn't circle back.
      We are include in the evacuation area but we are getting prepared and staying at home. What about you?
      Last edited by 1990new; 10-05-2016, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
        Tried that but it didn't budge.

I did get the dome light installed and it works great...thanks for bringing it to me at Madness.
        [IMG][/IMG]
        Last edited by 1990new; 10-05-2016, 05:21 PM.

Comment

It works... Receive a used speedo cable from jdf64 today.
          I pulled the old cable out of the housing on Rosie and replaced it with the cable that I pulled from the cable that jdf64 sent. The needle dropped to zero and now the speedometer works fine. Can't figure out why the old cable didn't work for the speedometer. The odometer kept racking up miles but the speedometer just would not work right. Must have been something different about the end of the cable...but looking at them I sure could not see it. Live and learn I guess.

Comment

I got mine fixed as well. I took apart the speedo and cleaned up/lubed the orange clutch disc. I also used a drill with a square bit to spin it for about 3 minutes. When I installed it in the car it was 5mph faster than my gps for a few days but now it's down to 2mph and I attribute that to smaller diameter tires. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by dliverance View Post
              I got mine fixed as well. I took apart the speedo and cleaned up/lubed the orange clutch disc. I also used a drill with a square bit to spin it for about 3 minutes. When I installed it in the car it was 5mph faster than my gps for a few days but now it's down to 2mph and I attribute that to smaller diameter tires. Thanks for the help.
              Cool, I know it sucks to have to drive around using your phone as a Speedo. I think the main reason my speedo is fast is because I took the arm off and painted it and didn't put it exactly back were it belongs but next time I drive it I'll compare it to my GPS to see if it changed like yours.
              "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
              sigpic
              "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
              "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
              "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
              "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
              https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Working...
              X