TPS - Throttle Position Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TPS - Throttle Position Sensor

Hello all. I have a '91 Festiva L 5-speed and recently changed the valve cover gasket. During the process I had to take the throttle body off the valve cover and set it on its side on top of the engine. Didn't disconnect anything else except for the four bolts that keep the piece on that's in the way of taking the valve cover off..
    When all was said and done and put together I started the car and am having issues with the car staying revved and coming down slowly even after I let off the gas..

I've ruled out a vacuum leak in the lines.

Anyone have similar issues and have fixed them or any suggestions on what to check next? I've tightened the throttle cable so there is no slack.
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Pzl8domin8; 09-01-2016, 10:28 PM.
    Stalin/5 spd/L/1993/Sold
    unnamed/5 spd/L-Plus/1991/Current
    htd

Check for leaks around the TB flange. Also the base idle set screw passage may be out of wack since it's been disturbed.

The TPS is a 3 position switch: idle, run, WOT
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

The throttle cable has to have slack in it .
      (Not being a jerk ) next time , turn the engine over until the rockers drop . The throttle body does not need to be removed to get the valve cover off .
      New build on the way .

Comment

the dashpot (is there one on the festy?) gives a slow return of the butterfly so as not to slam it shut.

Is yours mal-adjusted?

On my Capri it was adjusted out till it did nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          Check for leaks around the TB flange. Also the base idle set screw passage may be out of wack since it's been disturbed.

The TPS is a 3 position switch: idle, run, WOT
          What does the base idle set screw passage look like?

Stalin/5 spd/L/1993/Sold
          htd

Comment

It's between the flange surface on the TB. I still suspect a vacuum leak at the gasket surface.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Did you install a new throttle body gasket? And if so, did you clean the matting surfaces well? Sounds like a vacuum leak to me, also.
              Rick
              1993 Ford Festiva
              1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
              1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
              2000 Ford E350

Comment

Did not install new throttle body gasket...old one looked very beat and falling apart so that might be it. Does rock auto sell gaskets for those?

Stalin/5 spd/L/1993/Sold
                htd

Comment

Yes

Comment

Working...
                  X