Bearing growl.. but from where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearing growl.. but from where?

Picked up the Festiva this weekend, Festiva owner for the 5th time. Dad got a Spark so didn't need 2, and this one has seen better days. It has a new one from me. I changed the both front hubs out a month ago from my old automatic which was I thought was good and the growl is still there. Also had to work on the back brake's so I know those are good also. Did the touch test and the back ones were cool to the touch, the drivers front was a tad bit cooler than the passengers front.

It sounds like it's coming from the right side. Definite bearing growl and changes with speed. The tires are new on the front, and the transmission is full of new fluid. Alignment must be pretty close as it doesn't pull and rides pretty good. Think there is a bad tire on the back though.

Could it be internal to the transmission or should I try another hub? In the past I just got different hubs and problem solved. Thoughts?
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Does the growling stop when you make right turns? I.e. take the load off the right side bearings.

If it doesn't stop, might it be an axle shaft? How are the boots on the shafts?

Also change that bad tire to see if that's the prob.

Also you can jack up one wheel at a time and spin it, to see if it is quiet or not. Might help.
    Last edited by TominMO; 10-08-2016, 05:31 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Good point Tom.. I think one of the axles might have a torn boot. Have to look at it closer. It doesn't change on turns.
      91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Try driving down the road swerving from side to side. Also park car and push and pull on top of wheel (tire) to feel if there is any play (looseness) from worn bearings. When my front bearings were going I could move my head from side to side along the dash when driving and hear it get louder from one side to the other so knew which side it was.

For worn CV's find an empty parking lot and drive slowly in tight circles in forward and reverse listening for noise.

Good luck.
        Last edited by WmWatt; 10-08-2016, 07:29 PM.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Looked at the axles and it doesn't have a torn boot. I'll take it to a parking lot later. And got the tire changed.
          91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

It's most definitely the passenger side bearing. Seriously debating between rebuilding or the Aspire swap. I've never rebuilt a front bearing before but something I want to do. Looks like $24 for the bearings.. Not sure on the price of the hub/brake combo. I hate pick n pull pricing sometimes as it seems it depends on the person behind the desk.

Eventually everything is going to swapped to the shell down on the farm, if it's still good.
            91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Here are some photos of a front wheel rebuild...
              Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Too bad you weren't at madness, I put on a tutorial that whole weekend.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Does the festy knuckle take set 11 timkens?
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Yes, aspire, festy and Capri all use set 11

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

I'm just going to get the cheapest at Autozone for now. Thanks for photos.. watched a lot on YouTube and got the bearing race and seal kit at HF today. Going to attempt on Sunday if the wife deems I've worked on the bathroom enough!
                      91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Do not be afraid to grease the crap out if the center section. And don't use the new race to seat a new bearing. Seat the outer bearing on the spindle, seat the races in the knuckle, put those 2 together, then press in the inner bearing, in that order.

Comment

Got it done... A hot water heater element wrench makes a good inner bearing driver. That inner bearing was a bear. Unfortunately the noise persists. It is quieter though.. very probably the drivers is bad to. Will try that one next.
                          91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

I'm looking to replace a growling rear wheel outer bearing. I pulled it apart and greased the existing bearings, but they show signs of overheating (metal is discolored on rollers) and the growling is still there. Can anyone tell me the appropriate part number for the inner and outer rear wheel bearings?

Thanks!
                            Chris

Comment

Originally posted by IslandCar View Post
                              I'm looking to replace a growling rear wheel outer bearing. I pulled it apart and greased the existing bearings, but they show signs of overheating (metal is discolored on rollers) and the growling is still there. Can anyone tell me the appropriate part number for the inner and outer rear wheel bearings?

Thanks!
                              Chris
                              Rear Inner:
                              Timken Set 4 $4.84 at rockauto
                              http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....128147&jsn=481

Rear Outer:
                              Timken Set 1 $4.23 at Rockauto
                              http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....128147&jsn=479

Rear Inner Seal $2.98 at Rockauto
                              http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....128147&jsn=505

Comment

Working...
                              X