Axle Shaft Seal Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle Shaft Seal Question

I'm about to replace the front Rotors and Bearing on both Festivas for the first time. I have the write up on how to do it and I'm purchasing all of the parts but I'm getting slightly confused. I ordered Front inner and outer wheel seals but I also see a category for an Axle Shaft Seal. Is this something that I need to order as well?
    Last edited by firebush357; 11-07-2016, 11:27 AM.
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

So after a Google Search I realize that these are for the Transmission side. I have replaced CV Axles before but have never changed that seal. Does anyone know how difficult they are to remove and replace?
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

Comment

If the axle is out it is a simple screwdriver to pry the seal out

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
        So after a Google Search I realize that these are for the Transmission side. I have replaced CV Axles before but have never changed that seal. Does anyone know how difficult they are to remove and replace?
        Easy as pie... Just pull out the old one, clean the area thoroughly, lubricate the edges of the seal and push it in. Best to use a large socket that matches the sizes of the edge but, but I have just tapped them in with a little hammer around the edges with no problem. Just be careful not to damage the lip where the axle goes in.

Comment

RockAuto is showing a Centric Brand being the cheapest but they have a Front Inner, Front Outer, and Rear Inner. I have tried to find some info on the sizes but there doesn't seem to be any, I did find some pictures but they look exactly the same to me... Any suggestions?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
            RockAuto is showing a Centric Brand being the cheapest but they have a Front Inner, Front Outer, and Rear Inner. I have tried to find some info on the sizes but there doesn't seem to be any, I did find some pictures but they look exactly the same to me... Any suggestions?
            Sorry, I thought you were talking about the axle seal that goes in the transmission.
            Rock Auto shows These for the front. One on the inside and one on the outside. you have to take the hub apart to replace them and once you get the hub apart (I assume to replace the bearings) they are ease to put back in. There is only one inner seal for the rear wheels. You have a grease cup on the outside of the rear wheels.
            BECK/ARNLEY 0523196 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Info One of our most popular parts
            Front Inner
            Choose:

$0.48
            Add Part
            BECK/ARNLEY 0523197 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Info One of our most popular parts
            Front Outer
            Choose:

$0.48
            Add Part

Comment

I am talking about the Axle Seal that goes into the Transmission, that is why it is confusing me because there shouldn't even be an option for a rear seal.
              sigpic

Comment

Thats an odd section, not sure why they have seals there. Go to wheel/hub and click on wheel seals. Inner and outers for the fronts are there as well as the rear. Then go to transmission and click on seals and the output shaft seals are there. You can compare part numbers from that drivetrain section if you like, i didnt do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks
                  sigpic

Comment

When I replaced mine several years ago, Autozone listed a different size seal for each side of the trans, mine were the same size.
                    Jerry
                    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Since the axles for the manual and auto differ the seals probably do too so check that you order the correct ones.
                      Also only do one axle at a time to keep the innards of the transmission from collapsing into a heap inside.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

It is confusing... I should know by now since in the past year I have change those seals in two automatic and 1 5 speed transmission while working on Rosie.
                        I know that for the Manual I ordered these seals from RockAuto:
                        TIMKEN 223543 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} [Main / Output Shaft Seal] Info
                        Left; 5 speed trans.; Trans. code MTX

TIMKEN Warranty Information
                        12 months
                        Previous Image

Next Image
                        2 Request Warranty Replacement
                        TIMKEN 2007N {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} [Main / Output Shaft Seal] Info
                        Right; 5 speed trans.; Trans. code MTX

I ordered two of each because of my experience with changing the ATX 3 times before switching Rosie to a 5 Speed.

I now have those two extra ones. I just entered them in a RockAuto order that they would cost you $10.63 including shipping and they show them arriving 11/16.

If you send me $8 I will get them in the mail to you tomorrow and they would get to you on Thursday at the latest.
                        Last edited by 1990new; 11-07-2016, 10:15 PM.

Comment

The 2007N is called for on both sides for the ATX but only on the Right side for the 5 Speed.
                          The 223543 is called for on the Left side for the MTX. While the 2007N would fit on the left side,
                          the 223543 is a little wider base and has a narrower lip than the 2007N
                          Last edited by 1990new; 11-07-2016, 10:49 PM.

Comment

I just ordered one of each last night but If I need anymore when I eventually do the other car then I will let you know.

Thanks!
                            sigpic

Comment

My seals were shot before I replaced them with new ones.
                              Last edited by bravekozak; 11-08-2016, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X