No announcement yet.

Check engine light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bear, glad you resolved the issue. Just curious, what color was the wire and connector that you grounded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
    “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

20161121_162031.jpg20161121_161834.jpgWell dale, there are actually couple connectors in that area. There is a black 6 prong connector, three prong connector, and 1 prong connector on same harness with black wires. I used the single prong connector as described in earlier threads. Using this connector, light came on, stayed on for 3-4 seconds and then turned off and stayed off. When I unhooked the wire and turned key on again, light came on and stayed on. There is also a white single prong connector in area with black wire and I tried that also and CEL light just stayed on when I turned key on. Those are only connectors in area by coil. Tried to take pict but could not get it to download on here. Anyway, after I said, I changed plugs, wires and dist cap and made sure o2 connector was tight and took car out twice and drove for abut 25 miles each and light stayed off. So I guess problem is taken care of. I did order a new bosch 02 sensor off ebay, same one I put on 5 years ago and will put it on when it gets here.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by milehighbear; 11-22-2016, 01:34 PM.
      Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
      93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
      01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Thank you. Just for future use, the single pin black connector (ST1) is for grounding and checking codes. The single pin white connector is for the RPM signal. Both wires have black sheathing and are actually yellow with a black stripe. Normally when ST1 is grounded and you turn the key on and the CEL comes on and goes off after 3-4 seconds, there are no codes stored. I am glad that you were able to figure it out.

Comment

TY dalebwilson for confirming that. I hope this also helps others when they need to read their codes. I had looked at several old threads and was sure I was using the right one but it just would not flash any code. Hoping there is no next time, but now I will know. You have a great day and hope you and your family have a thankful and fun thanksgiving.
          01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

I stuck a spade connector in the code-reading one so I would know which one to use in the future, without having to look it up again. Then I connect it to the valve cover, using a wire with two alligator clips.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

TY for recommendation TominMo. I actually went out and made a wire with alligator clip on one end and with wire spade on other end and put it in glove compartment so if light comes on in future I can check code right away. You and your family have a great turkey day.
              01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by milehighbear View Post
                TY for recommendation TominMo. I actually went out and made a wire with alligator clip on one end and with wire spade on other end and put it in glove compartment so if light comes on in future I can check code right away. You and your family have a great turkey day.
                Right back atcha! :-)
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Bear, to clear any stored codes from the computer memory, remove the jumper wire and depress the brake pedal for 5 or more seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by dalebwilson View Post
                    Bear, to clear any stored codes from the computer memory, remove the jumper wire and depress the brake pedal for 5 or more seconds.
                    Really?! Interesting.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Yes sir.

Comment

Yea, I read where you are suppose to unhook the neg cable from battery, then press down on the brake for about 10-15 seconds and it will clear the codes. I also heard just taking negative cable off does it too. I took my neg cable off and I re-tested the connector and the light came on for about 3-4 seconds and then went off like its suppose too.
                        01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

My mistake. I left out disconnecting the negative battery cable first and then depressing the brake pedal. That is correct.

Comment

Well, got my new Densco 02 sensor in yesterday and put it in today. Glad it wasn't original one I was replacing. This one came out nice and put new one in using some anti seizure like I did last time. Starts right up and runs great.
                            01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Working...
                            X