Fuel sending unit woes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gergorian View Post
    I look forward to seeing how this works out. I am considering doing it myself. I am glad you kept her as well! That's what I love about this community. People always willing to help.
    Indeed man. This is by far the best forum/car community ive belonged to. Ive been all over from the Japs to the Germans. By far the best forum and community ive been a part of. The worst was the honda tech and bmw forums lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, i purchased a very clean and in good working order sending unit off a member here. Tested it with an ohm meter and all checked out great. Swap that in, because it was cheaper than a new one, and it seems to work fine but only 90% of the time. It dies all of a sudden. Goes from where ever the fuel level is like now thats at half tank and suddenly it dies. Goes past empty. I leave it like that over night and the next day its alive again. If i do it within an hour of leaving the car off it still wont come back to life. Im stumped here guys... help!

Comment

Check the ground under the center of the rear hatch ledge.
        If tight, then check the connector to the inertia switch above the left rear shock tower.
        Every time I read these fuel sender problem threads, I am glad I bought an NOS sender from Ford.

Workshop Manual info.

Inaccurate/Erratic/Sticking
        Last edited by bravekozak; 01-14-2017, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
          Check the ground under the center of the rear hatch ledge.
          If tight, then check the connector to the inertia switch above the left rear shock tower.
          Every time I read these fuel sender problem threads, I am glad I bought an NOS sender from Ford.

Workshop Manual info.

Inaccurate/Erratic/Sticking
          Thanks man, i will look at that tonight. Is that sending unit from ford to fit our festivas? Ive never seen them before. Is it a direct fit? How much are they? And how much better over stock are they? Man im so fed up with this crap...

Comment

So i went to turn on the festephanie and as soon as i did the needle was still dead. So i went and took bravekozac's advice and checked out the ground cable that is located by the rear hatch ledge. It was tight so i took the bolt off, took a grinder, cleaned up the painted area where the ground touches and grinded a little bit on both sides of the ground peice. Did that and bolted it back in nice and tight to see if it worked. And viola! As soon as the key went in the on position the fuel needle flew up to where the gas is which is half tank. I was amazed! It went up faster the usual it usuallty takes for ever to get to where the fuel level is. So ima drive it all week and see how it goes. Btw guys, i filled up the tank on January 1st. Drive it every day and its the 15th today and im half tank. Beautiful MPGs! Thanks again bravekozac!!!

Comment

Well... yesturday on my way home from work i was coasting with my engine off which i always do, and took a left hand turn quite fast in order to keep momentum going and the fuel gauge died...

Comment

Open the inspection port. I also had a problem with the sender and the pump. Test the resistance of the sending unit at the top of the task. If it is O.K., clean all of the wire terminals and tuck a Bounce rag under the fuel hose. Next, clean the terminals at the inertia switch. If it still doesn't work at the gauge, you will have to remove the cluster in order to troubleshoot it.
                Last edited by bravekozak; 01-17-2017, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                  Open the inspection port. I also had a problem with the sender and the pump. Test the resistance of the sending unit at the top of the task. If it is O.K., clean all of the wire terminals and tuck a Bounce rag under the fuel hose. Next, clean the terminals at the inertia switch. If it still doesn't work at the gauge, you will have to remove the cluster in order to troubleshoot it.
                  Well, i got to read this a little too late but great advice for sure. I ended up testing the resistance at the plug by the plate under the rear seat and carpet. It read 68.9 which is close to the 90 ohms or so thats supposed to show when empty which my festiva is lower than a 1/4 tank so that was accurate. So i proceeded to pull the gauge cluster. Installed my original cluster w/out tach and it came back to life (was dead a few seconds with the old tach cluster on, and switch on). So i ended up pulling that plug off after i noticed that the white round plug is the one responsible for a tach signal as well as the fuel level. I pulled each pin out the plug and tightened the pins closer together at the openings. Each one and put back in its spot and on with the next. Did that to all of them and viola! Drove the festiva for 20 miles just now with no issues where as before in 3 mins of driving the gauge would die. So that looks like it remedied my huge problem with this. Very happy indeed! Hope this serves as help to others who might encounter this problem in the future! Thanks to all who helped again!

Willie R.

Comment

Working...
                  X