Possible leaking brake proportioning valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible leaking brake proportioning valve

A couple of questions about this. (Yes I attempted a search using quotation marks).

1) Has anyone else had this happen?

I have not done a real thorough investigation, just a simple look-see and it appears my proportioning valve/splitter may be leaking externally.

I've been experiencing a mystery fluid loss for a few weeks now and that seems to be the culprit.

All of the lines (except the front ones) have been changed. Calipers and wheel cylinders replaced also.

I initially thought possible master cylinder leak but removal of the vacuum hose showed no signs of dampness inside. I have not pulled the MC from the booster yet to make sure.

2) Where do I get a replacement besides a used one?

I went on the Russian sight and got the part number, ( MB03743900) Unfortunately Fourgreen doesn't show it.

IF a used one is the only option then so be it. I was simply hoping for a new replacement if, in fact the original is leaking.

The proportioning block can't leak internally, so if it's leaking externally, you should easily see it. It has no moving parts so a used one shouldn't be a hang up
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
      The proportioning block can't leak internally, so if it's leaking externally, you should easily see it. It has no moving parts so a used one shouldn't be a hang up
      I did notice some wetness on the outside of the block but didn't do a real good investigation. If there's no moving parts then i agree a used one shouldn't be a big deal.

Just seems weird it would be leaking unless it's possibly cracked or has a small casting pinhole seeping.

I've been attempting to keep an eye on the fluid level but more times than not, the indicator light comes on letting me know the fluid is low. It takes around 7-10 days for the level to drop.

Comment

I just checked. E8BZ-2B257-A ,Pressure Metering Valve, is out of stock at all sellers on Rear Counter.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 12-11-2016, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Did you remove the wheels and check the backside? Leaks at the cyclinders and calpiers can show up on the back side of the wheels. I'm with Brave on assigning a low probability to the combo valve. Any strange feelings in the brake pedal?
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Does that block actually proportion or just distribute? If it were up to me I'd prolly just replace it with some tee's and prop valves.
            91GL BP/F3A with boost
            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
              Did you remove the wheels and check the backside? Leaks at the cyclinders and calpiers can show up on the back side of the wheels. I'm with Brave on assigning a low probability to the combo valve. Any strange feelings in the brake pedal?
              I replaced both wheel cylinders, both calipers, all the rear lines including hoses. All is new.

Not really anything strange with pedal feel.

I'll have to investigate further once we get past the snow we're getting. (Snow plowing takes priority for me this time of year...LOL).

IF it is the 'pressure metering valve' I have a couple of donor vehicles out back. I was simply wanting to get a new one if'n it wasn't too 'spensive.
              Last edited by lessersivad; 12-11-2016, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                Does that block actually proportion or just distribute? If it were up to me I'd prolly just replace it with some tee's and prop valves.
                IF it's leaking and I replace it, I may do a 'destructive autopsy' to investigate the innards ...LOL.

Comment

Brad, 2 in and 4 out from 2 identical ports in the master suggests a metering block. Each port on the master is responsible for a front an a rear at opposite corners.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

So would there be any downside to switching it to a more conventional setup besides being less safe? Lol
                    91GL BP/F3A with boost
                    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

If you switched to an adjustable proportioning valve. You gain control over the timing of the front wheel lock a split second before the rears. You only lose that little bit of cross proportioning for losers who never check their brake systems until they fail. Adjustable will take into account caliper, suspension and master cylinder upgrades from stock. We need a metric distribution block!
                      Installation.
                      Last edited by bravekozak; 12-11-2016, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Mine leaked when I first bought my car but I couldn't tell until I had really good pedal pressure. Mine would actually spray about 4 feet in the air once I got all of the air out of the lines and a brand new Master Cylinder. When I took it apart to find out the problem it looked like something got in there a wore a pit in the metal causing it to leak. There is no gasket in there but there seemed to be some kind of glue originally but I'm not sure what you could replace it with that wouldn't be effected by the brake fluid. They are a pain in the ass to get all of the lines off and back on again so be prepared for that.
                        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                        sigpic
                        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
                          Mine leaked when I first bought my car but I couldn't tell until I had really good pedal pressure. Mine would actually spray about 4 feet in the air once I got all of the air out of the lines and a brand new Master Cylinder. When I took it apart to find out the problem it looked like something got in there a wore a pit in the metal causing it to leak. There is no gasket in there but there seemed to be some kind of glue originally but I'm not sure what you could replace it with that wouldn't be effected by the brake fluid. They are a pain in the ass to get all of the lines off and back on again so be prepared for that.
                          Yea I'm prepared for the lines possibly not cooperating when the time comes to remove/investigate/more than likely replace.

Comment

Getting the lines to thread back in was just as hard as removing them for me because getting all 6 lines to line up just right to catch the threads correctly wasn't easy. To get them off I would soak them in PB Blaster and invest in a good 10mm Flare Nut Wrench, I've heard that Snap On makes a really good one that doesn't strip the nuts as easy.
                            "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                            sigpic
                            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                            "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                            "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                            "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                            https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Snap-on is the only one you want... Used them all and you can't touch their reliability. Pricey? Yes, but worth not having to replace nuts and re-flair the lines.

Comment

Working...
                              X