No announcement yet.

Positive Camber Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will have to pay attention when I install my Kia Rio strut mounts....Also if I eventually decide to go negative camber how badly is tire wear accelerated?. Maybe at a point it would be a good idea to flip the tires on the rims to even out the wear. What do you guys do?
    '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
    '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
    '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

The Rio mounts are not offset like the stock Festiva mounts, so it won't matter which way you install them.

If you take corners fast enough you can keep tire wear pretty even with a little negative camber.
      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

that works out surprisingly well!......I guess that's what I can tell my passengers. "don't mind me taking the corners at 50, I'm just trying to keep my tires wearing evenly". Thanks for the tip Skeetersty1
        '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
        '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
        '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

I'm kicking myself because I replaced my strut mounts with the stock instead of upgrading to the Rio. I know where my next $50 is going.

One thing I did find curious when I put the new strut mount on was they did not turn as easily as the old one I took out. I can do it by hand but it was kind of a chore. Made me worry that I did something wrong. There was only a little friction plate and a washer. I made sure I greased them up good. I torqued strut mounts torqued to 22 and a little more for the bolt that bolts to the rod ofthe strut on top of the mount.
          Last edited by Timothy; 01-22-2017, 10:15 PM.
          1992 Ford Festiva 1.3 L 4-cylinder

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
            I'm kicking myself because I replaced my strut mounts with the stock instead of upgrading to the Rio. I know where my next $50 is going.

One thing I did find curious when I put the new strut mount on was they did not turn as easily as the old one I took out. I can do it by hand but it was kind of a chore. Made me worry that I did something wrong. There was only a little friction plate and a washer. I made sure I greased them up good. I torqued strut mounts torqued to 22 and a little more for the bolt that bolts to the rod ofthe strut on top of the mount.
            "I know where my next $50 is going" Timothy I hope it's not going for drugs!.....Perhaps a nice set of Kia Rio strut mounts would be a much better choice. If yours are turning kninda stiff maybe you may want to back off on the center nut just a hair. Maybe they will loosen a bit on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick the Quick View Post
              I will have to pay attention when I install my Kia Rio strut mounts....Also if I eventually decide to go negative camber how badly is tire wear accelerated?. Maybe at a point it would be a good idea to flip the tires on the rims to even out the wear. What do you guys do?
              Tire wear from camber doesn't come from camber, but rather poor toe adjustment in relation to the camber. As negative camber is gained, less toe-in is required maintain on center feel. The same goes for positive camber and toe-out. I'll run -2.5* on both sides all day and not see a lick of tire wear, and Charlie runs -4*... With the same results, just different toe setting.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                Tire wear from camber doesn't come from camber, but rather poor toe adjustment in relation to the camber. As negative camber is gained, less toe-in is required maintain on center feel. The same goes for positive camber and toe-out. I'll run -2.5* on both sides all day and not see a lick of tire wear, and Charlie runs -4*... With the same results, just different toe setting.
                This is very interesting and all new to me. If it wasn't for the fact that my '93 is smoking so bad it is an embarrassment, I would be upgrading my suspension as Charlie recommends. However first on the list is getting the B6T in it. I do admire the collective wisdom offered here......ty1

Comment

This is very interesting and all new to me. If it wasn't for the fact that my '93 is smoking so bad it is an embarrassment, I would be upgrading my suspension as Charlie recommends. However first on the list is getting the B6T in it. I do admire the collective wisdom offered here......ty1
                  Try cleaning out your intake tubes. All the B3s I have had smoked, likely worn rings. But cleaning the oil that had collected in the intake reduced the smoking a ton, and hasn't built back up in the past year since I did it.
                  Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
                  Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
                  Feel free to PM me anytime!
                  Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
                  Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Hey w4rkry, my '88 with a B3 didn't smoke or have oill consumption even @ 200K. This '93 with 150K is another story. Check this out: while replacing the valve stem seals, I used air pressure to hold them up BTW. I encountered a good amount of leakage from the coolant lines that run through the throttle body. The throttle body disconnected and hanging by the coolant lines. I should say only on cylinder #2 did I experience coolant coming out under pressure. Not a lot but this only occurred on #2. Number #3 was another surprise. It would barely hold pressure. You could here the air escaping into the crankcase. Bad rings I figured. #1 and #4 no problems and minimal air leakage. So no improvements in the blue smoke. I am thinking problems with #2 and #3, maybe a head gasket issue. I take the head off and find some warpage in the center. All bores are clean, no scoring and amazingly no ridge at the top of the bore. Not wanting to buy exhaust and intake manifold gaskets nor pay Napa Machine shop (if you saw the car you would understand) I do a shade tree (No offense Shadetree) job with a straight edge and a DA sander. Got the gap in the center to where it was negligible and put it back together with a new felpro headgasket. No difference, still smoking. (maybe I should have used a Cometic headgasket, Shadetree) Compression before and after unchanged : #1 165 psi, #2 150, #3 125, #4 150. I bought it from the original owner. This lady and her kids are car collectors. They buy new ones and run them into the ground, park 'em on the side of the garage or on the front lawn, where ever they find a spot. I think the Festiva sat for a few years with a bad distributor and a flat tire. I thought maybe stuck rings from sitting so several times I ran up the tall hill on I-40 flat out in 3rd and 4th. Got her real hot, came home and immediately pulled the plugs and squirted Marvel Mystery Oil one time and SeaFoam another time and let it sit 24 hours. No improvement. One thing I noticed with the head off. #3 piston and the deck area of #3 was stamped with a small figure. A triangle or a diamond I believe. Also used a caliper to roughly measure the bores and sure enough #3 was bigger. I believe by .010". Does anyone know if the factory has ever let an engine go into a car with 1 cylinder oversize? I believe it was not unheard of of Detroit manufacturers doing this in the 1960's. Or was my engine rebuilt by a local hack artist. Charlie says aftermarket rings are junk. I tend to think he is right. rasm

Sorry for highjacking this thread!
                    Last edited by Rick the Quick; 01-23-2017, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Well then, you have gone above and beyond anything I would do to my B3 currently haha. I don't even know where I would go from there.

You are spot on with what Charlie said, he would much rather use the old rings than ever buy aftermarket.

I have personally concluded that B3s just like to smoke, and there isn't much to be done about it.
                      Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

How to find me:

Comment

AND.....yes old worn engines do tend to blow oil back into the intake. Not this worn B-3. I run the both holes in the cam cover directly to the atmosphere via some clear tubing and plumbing fittings courtesy of Lowes. Don't tell Al Gore....Hahaha. It seems to be a small improvement. I go to work in Oregon for a month and should have a nice paycheck when I'm finished. Maybe I can find a inexpensive car to drive home in. When I have a back up I can begin the swap! I'm originally from Chicago and spent many a mile cruising down I-55 and 7. Usually freezing my ass off on a motorcycle. Going to Springfield for the Springfield Mile or to visit friends at SIU, Carbondale. Now with New Mexico tags I get pulled over every time I drive 1-55 north. The last trip I said to myself as I crossed the Mississippi into Illinois "I wonder how far before I get pulled over". It was 6 miles. They always say something like I was going a little bit fast (funny how everyone was passing me) or I didn't maintain my lane (another lie). So after they run my license and it comes back clear they always ask 3 questions. #1 do you have any fire arms in the car? One time when I did and I said yes I thought the cop was going to have a heart attack. #2 do you have any drugs? AND #3 do you mind if I look? No offense but I hate driving through Illinois.
                        Last edited by Rick the Quick; 01-23-2017, 03:13 PM.

Comment

No offense but I hate driving through Illinois.
                          I think most the people in IL also hate driving in IL haha
                          Will Samet

How to find me:

Comment

Working...
                          X