No announcement yet.

Stock Engine Swap-in. Having Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the $, you're better off swapping in a b6. Start from a better platform.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Time is a big issue at the moment. It's quicker for me to rebuild than search for an engine (and potentially need to modify things?) and go through smog and CARB, but do u have the link to a list of cars with what engine and trans? Also, still looking for parts list for rebuild
      A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
      Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

Wiki is your friend here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_B_engine

Since you go through smog, get the 8v sohc B6 short block from 85-90, it's a direct drop in with no mods, use your intake and exhaust manifolds and the b6 injectors. Instant upgrade and no one is the wiser but you.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

We got better results using the B3 injectors. The SOHC B6 is a dynamite easy swap!
          No car too fast !

Comment

Ok, I will look for one, but it's first come first serve for me. Parts for rebuild vs b6

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Comment

Do the b3 and b6 use the same block? Could I just bore out my b3 and use b6 internals?

Comment

image.jpg
                Also, this "later version" of the b3; was it sold in California? Or even the US?
                Last edited by Sid_RallyX_82; 03-07-2017, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid_RallyX_82 View Post
                  Do the b3 and b6 use the same block? Could I just bore out my b3 and use b6 internals?
                  No, the b6 is a Siamesed block vs. the b3. The difference in bore size would force you into a custom sleeve system. Not practical.
                  Originally posted by Sid_RallyX_82 View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]20690[/ATTACH]
                  Also, this "later version" of the b3; was it sold in California? Or even the US?
                  Not in North America... It was a 16v version available to everyone but us.

Comment

Damn. Well, my search goes on...

Comment

Please note that other than the bore size/style, the blocks are practically identical. All mount points are the same, and technically, the heads can interchange (b3 head on b6 block works easy, the other way round causes some valve clearance issues)

Comment

So far I've found the best part about rebuilding a b3 is that it only takes one person to get it in and out of the jet washer.

Comment

I don't recall if I've asked this before, but does the B6 ex manifold fit on a b3 head?

Comment

First gen b6 will swap onto b3, 2nd gen will not unless the upper outside tabs are modified for the change in stud position.

Comment

What years are first gen?

Comment

Looks like first gen was 8 valve, ~1985-89 ?
                                Second gen mostly 16 valve, ~1989+ ?
                                image.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X