No announcement yet.

Cracked radiator, upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The xr2 is non turbo but the front brakes are there as a potential upgrade. The engine will give you a 30+HP boost (23kW?)

The tubes at the bottom of the rad are for the auto trans cooler. No need to plug them as they are sealed from the coolant.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Are you sure? I blocked all but one of the coolant holes and then just blew air in and air came out of the hole that's circled,
      Though the other one is blocked. It came from a manual festy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cheers for the heads up on the brakes, I find the stock brakes work well enough to just leave them though.

Comment

Never mind! I just double checked and it's the drain plug aha sorry.

Comment

I've never seen a manual rad that thick before.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              I've never seen a manual rad that thick before.
              Someone just replaced it with a new auto one at some point before it went to the yard.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I was chatting to a work mate today and he said it might be possible to utilise the trans cooling section to cool my engine oil, has anyone tried this?

Comment

No, do not do this. That cooler isn't designed to see the pressures of an oil system. When it fails, you would loose all oil pressure and run the high risk of wiping the bearings out with coolant.

Comment

Festivas tend to run too cool to begin with, no reason to make it run cooler.
                    Rick
                    1993 Ford Festiva
                    1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                    1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                    2000 Ford E350

Comment

Real oil coolers are cheap enough if you need one, but install an oil temperature gauge first to see if you actually need it, i dont think you do.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                        Real oil coolers are cheap enough if you need one, but install an oil temperature gauge first to see if you actually need it, i dont think you do.
                        +1 on this advice. My B6 SOHC with built head makes approx 98 WHP and still runs too cool, with a Festy auto radiator! Thermostat is 192 degrees. I block the pass. side of the grill and the entire bumper opening, except in the hottest part of summer.
                        Last edited by TominMO; 03-14-2017, 05:46 PM.
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                        X