No announcement yet.

Manual transmission ticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the trans fluid was 1/2 quart low. Ticking persists. Tomorrow afternoon I'll adjust Clutch cable and report back with my findings.
    1992 Ford Festiva 1.3 L 4-cylinder

Comment

May not be the case but my 94 s10 had same tick as u describe and it turned out the bell housing bolts were loose outing everything in a bind but if I push clutch in it would go away

Comment

The ticking has subsided. However, transmission fluid is leaking out. I have tightened the 10mm bolt as much as I feel comfortable with. I guess there is an o ring around the speedo gear that I could replace, but I just feel like I'm forgetting something simple. What did I forget to do?

Comment

Where is it leaking from? What did you use as a referance for how far to fill it? If its overfull it will push out the breather which is under your starter iirc.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
            Where is it leaking from? What did you use as a referance for how far to fill it? If its overfull it will push out the breather which is under your starter iirc.

The manual showed a a tab on the top part of the speedo gear as the high low mark. I filled it to the mid way point on that tab. Perhaps I overfilled it, but I tried to measure it carefully.

I don't know for sure where it is leaking, however there is always a puddle around the flat housing where the 10mm bolt is and where the gear recesses into the housing.
            Last edited by Timothy; 03-28-2017, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Was the car sitting level or jacked up when the level of the lubricant was measured? As for seating the speedo unit it's an awkward place in which to work but seating hasn't been an issue for me. As for an "O" ring I can't recall but there are photos on this site of the speedo unit which should show one if present.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

No it wasn't jacked up. At most my garage floor is slanted one or two degrees downward but nothing too dramatic.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
                  The manual showed a a tab on the top part of the speedo gear as the high low mark. I filled it to the mid way point on that tab. Perhaps I overfilled it, but I tried to measure it carefully.

I don't know for sure where it is leaking, however there is always a puddle around the flat housing where the 10mm bolt is and where the gear recesses into the housing.
                  Ok, well i would pull it back out and inspect the o-ring. If it looks ok then make sure its well oiled and clean the area on the transmission where it goes in. When you stick it back in push down real hard while twisting it around. It sometimes takes me a while to get it in... if you want to be sure then crawl underneath and youll be able to see if theirs a gap between the speedo gear bracket and transmission or if you got it all the way in. Then drive and check for leaks again.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                    Ok, well i would pull it back out and inspect the o-ring. If it looks ok then make sure its well oiled and clean the area on the transmission where it goes in. When you stick it back in push down real hard while twisting it around. It sometimes takes me a while to get it in... if you want to be sure then crawl underneath and youll be able to see if theirs a gap between the speedo gear bracket and transmission or if you got it all the way in. Then drive and check for leaks again.

Great! Thank you for all of your help.

Comment

Working...
                    X