No announcement yet.

Control arm failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

probably a bit late since you already ordered parts but there are the ones i got there cheap and have a 10 year warentee with free shipping http://www.ebay.com/itm/151890535297...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

EDIT: well there not as cheap as when i bought them i only paid 35 for the set when i bough it still not to bad of a deal
    Last edited by monkeykiller1996; 04-19-2017, 06:18 PM.
    88 L carb'ed (when up in flames of glory)(deceased) 4spd
    89 L carb'ed (died on the operating table (rust))(deceased) 5spd
    93 gl FI (sold) automagical
    89 lx FI megasquirted "luna" b6D+t (186hp 209ftlbs)
    88 L carbFI megasquirted zombie car

Comment

For steering parts, I always get the best there is, in this case Moog. About the same price as everything else, and the tie-rod-end boots and lower control arm boots tend to last longest. Mine are all still fine after seven years.
      Last edited by TominMO; 04-19-2017, 08:29 PM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Could turn into a can of worms. If all you really need is a tie rod end, stop right there.

Comment

Originally posted by chuyler View Post
          I ordered the tie rod just to be safe since they were cheap like you said, and I ordered the Haynes manual off their website for like $25.
          Does WD40 count as anti-sieze compound?

And yeah if I can get it towed back to the school I'll just do it in the lot. A campus safety officer literally walked right by me while I was waiting for the tow-truck so I don't think they mind.

@Festyboy

Is this guy you by chance? I'm gonna send you a PM
          Hey chuyler, welcome to the Forum. The $5 that a small tube of anti-seize will cost you is money well spent. The WD 40 dries up rather quickly. As for using WD 40 for loosening rusty bolts it will help but you will get bettre results with something like PB Blaster. I see it on sale for as low as $4. I see you are in Pennsylvania so you will be glad you used it. Good luck bro.
          '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
          '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
          '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

This whole thing has me scratching my head.

Took car to 2 different places for alignment and neither one caught a potential problem with the ball joint?

Inspector took the money and didn't right up anything? Including windshield and parking brake.

Tow driver says AAA won't pay to tow back to campus? Call AAA!

I hate to say it, but you've been snookered.

Comment

No worries, I got him covered.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                He couldn't ask for better help.

it is things like this that make me hate repair shops. They go out of their way to work people over. They see young people, or especially women, and the elderly as easy targets to make tons of cash off of. Weekly, I see this.
                Last edited by scitzz; 04-27-2017, 11:13 AM.
                Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  Yes, and I'm glad he is.

Comment

5/1 UPDATE:

The car is back on the road! Festyboy came over early this morning and we knocked it out in under an hour. Also got Wendy's and bought some tools, so pretty good day overall.

Thanks for everything Arthur!

p.s Here's a picture of my ford next to another much larger ford.
                    IMG_2638.jpg

Comment

Awesome!
                      Rick
                      1993 Ford Festiva
                      1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                      1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                      2000 Ford E350

Comment

What all did you guys do to it?

Comment

The only thing that was needed surprisingly: control arm. Then we filled the trans. Quick easy job. The axle was in good shape, as was the axle seal. Tie rod was tight and the strut still good and straight.
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

That was really nice of you Festyboy!

Comment

I drove to class tonight and noticed a faint grinding sound coming from under the left drivers side (the damaged area).
                              Any ideas what that could be from?

Comment

Hard to say. I'd suggest jacking up that side with the car out of gear and rotating the tire by hand to see if you can locate it. For safety I'd put a block under the car and not rely on the jack alone. Other things to try are listening while going slowly in a tight turn in a parking lot forward and backward suggesting worn CV (universal) joint in the axle, and swerving right to left while driving suggesting wheel bearings. Also with the car sitting on the ground push and pull on the top of the tire to see if there is any movement suggesting worn wheel bearings.
                                Last edited by WmWatt; 05-02-2017, 07:00 AM.
                                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                                X