Changing Front Brake Rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Front Brake Rotors

I can't find a video showing this. Anybody have one on tap?

If you're doing it on car, you'll want a slide hammer to gently remove the hub. If the knuckle is removed, a hammer and large socket, or bearing race driver is needed. Be sure to knock off and blow out any rust or debris before separating the hub from the knuckle, do one at a time, and DO NOT loose or swap the spacer ring that sits between the bearings. They must be present and only installed in the knuckle they we're removed from.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

There are no Video posted currently but feel free to try and make one when you do it. Below is a Write-Up on how to do it. I have used this guide to do the job my first time and it is pretty straight forward.

Festyboy's Guide to replacing front Rotors and Bearings.
      Last edited by firebush357; 05-12-2017, 08:35 AM.
      "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
      sigpic
      "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
      "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
      "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
      "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

It just came to me that I have done this before to this car. At the time, instead of taking the hubs all apart, I altered the back sides so I could get to the 4 rotor mounting bolt heads for removal without disassembling the whole hub. When the new rotors get here from napa [$25 each] I will look to see if anything grew back. I think it was this car.
        Last edited by denguy; 05-13-2017, 08:51 AM.

Comment

I think this is one of the reason people switch to Aspire front ends.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I wonder why they made the front hub system and rear brakes so complicated.

Comment

The front hubs are a pain, but there are quite a few vehicles with the same or similar design. On my 2002 civic the hub has to be pressed apart and bearing race cut off and all that just to change a wheel stud after an alignment shop strips it for you...
              The rear brakes are simple though, much nicer than most i have worked on. What dont you like about it?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
                It just came to me that I have done this before to this car. At the time, instead of taking the hubs all apart, I altered the back sides so I could get to the 4 rotor mounting bolt heads for removal without disassembling the whole hub. When the new rotors get here from napa [$25 each] I will look to see if anything grew back. I think it was this car.
                I'd like to see how you remove a rotor without pulling the hub away from the knuckle...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

^^ Yes, the rotor is located between the hub and knuckle.
                  Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Surprise !!!

Comment

Ummm, what?!? First, that's not probable, second, that link still doesn't answer the above question.

Comment

Working...
                      X