Hatch Painting - Remove Glass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatch Painting - Remove Glass?

I have a good green hatch stripped of all its parts except for the glass. I want to get it painted pop yellow to replace the dented hatch on Nellie.
    I have some questions for anyone who has had body parts painted before... I've done a fender with rattle can but I want a professional job on the hatch.

Should I remove the glass before having it painted? How hard is it to remove the glass? Will I need a need a new seal to replace the glass?

How should I prep the hatch for painting?
    How much should I expect to pay for the paint job on the hatch?
    Last edited by 1990new; 05-18-2017, 07:46 PM.

Yes if you want a good job remove the window.
    The window is easy to remove , if the rubber is still pliable and not cracked it can be reused no problems.
    As for prep, if it's like a perfect no dint hatch , remove everything from the hatch, wet sand with 400-600 and then use a gray scotch bright pad , also get a small bottle of scuff gel, scuff stuff or what have you.
    This really gets into all the small places that sand paper won't reach. Also with the scuff stuff it also cleanes as you go.
    Then your done, take it to a shop and it's ready for sealer , paint, and clear.

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
      Yes if you want a good job remove the window.
      The window is easy to remove , if the rubber is still pliable and not cracked it can be reused no problems.
      As for prep, if it's like a perfect no dint hatch , remove everything from the hatch, wet sand with 400-600 and then use a gray scotch bright pad , also get a small bottle of scuff gel, scuff stuff or what have you.
      This really gets into all the small places that sand paper won't reach. Also with the scuff stuff it also cleanes as you go.
      Then your done, take it to a shop and it's ready for sealer , paint, and clear.
      OK I think I can handle that job... Thanks William... Can you give me some guidance on how to best remove the hatch glass (it has defroster). Nellie has her original Pop Yellow paint and still looks great. Any idea on what I should expect to pay?

There is no clear coat on her original paint job so should I get clear coat on the hatch?
      Last edited by 1990new; 05-18-2017, 08:06 PM.

Comment

I've removed them before by laying then glass down in the grass and putting my foot in the corner, roll the rubber up while push down with your foot and pulled up on the hatch to keep pressure. Work your way around and it will come right out.
        Your down south so the rubber may fight you a bit more from being dry.
        As for clear, I clear everything but single stage ( like what is on there) will be cheaper.
        I'm not really sure what to expect on price as it varies so much, I would say 200- 300 if there using good products.
        Could be cheaper then that if you go single stage
        Your doing the prep work your self witch saves you quite a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
        Last edited by william; 05-18-2017, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
          I've removed them before by laying then glass down in the grass and putting my foot in the corner, roll the rubber up while push down with your foot and pulled up on the hatch to keep pressure. Work your way around and it will come right out.
          Your down south so the rubber may fight you a bit more from being dry.
          As for clear, I clear everything but single stage ( like what is on there) will be cheaper.
          I'm not really sure what to expect on price as it varies so much, I would say 200- 300 if there using good products.
          Could be cheaper then that if you go single stage
          Your doing the prep work your self witch saves you quite a bit.

OK. I will try you suggestion about glass removal. The rubber is still pliable so I should be able to reuse it.
          What about Maaco? There is one not to far from me. Any experience with them?
          I want it to match the original as much as possible so I guess I'll go with the single stage.

Hope you all have a great meet at Carlyle Lake on Saturday. With relatives in St. Louis you would think I could get
          there, but seems something comes up every year to prevent it... Maybe next year.
          Last edited by 1990new; 05-18-2017, 08:38 PM.

Comment

No experience with maaco,
            Take the car In for paint match, clear vs single stage shouldn't effect color much.
            The base clear will just stay shinier longer.

Comment

Maaco is the butt of many jokes. Typically known as the worst bodyshop chain as far as quality goes.
              Cheap, but thats because of poor prep work and cheaper paint.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I found a junkyard hatch with factory holes for a wiper and a spoiler.
                I pushed out the glass, removed the tailgate handle and took it to the metal laundry to have it stripped.
                Then I took it to a reputable OEM automotive electrocoater.
                I then went to a high volume automotive paint supply shop and bought a pint of paint.
                I then took the black e-caoated hatch + paint + spoiler caps to any autobody shop.
                Bingo, bango, bongo.

Comment

The hatch on my 92 was replaced with a used one before I bought the car in 95. It has always looked faded [red] compared to the rest of the car which looks really good. Every other day I think about re-painting it. How much do you thing it would cost these days if I removed it, stripped it, and took it someplace?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                    Maaco is the butt of many jokes. Typically known as the worst bodyshop chain as far as quality goes.
                    Cheap, but thats because of poor prep work and cheaper paint.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
                    I'll be doing the prep work and just looking for a nice spray job. I will see what they quote me and also check a couple of local shops.

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                    I found a junkyard hatch with factory holes for a wiper and a spoiler.
                    I pushed out the glass, removed the tailgate handle and took it to the metal laundry to have it stripped.
                    Then I took it to a reputable OEM automotive electrocoater.
                    I then went to a high volume automotive paint supply shop and bought a pint of paint.
                    I then took the black e-caoated hatch + paint + spoiler caps to any autobody shop.
                    Bingo, bango, bongo.
                    Metal laundry ? electrocoater ? buying your own paint ? I see dollars flying out of my wallet.
                    I think I'll just stick to the basics for this job. I'll look into that kind of restoration if I decide
                    to turn one of my Festivas into a fresh out of the showroom classic antique auto.

Originally posted by denguy View Post
                    The hatch on my 92 was replaced with a used one before I bought the car in 95. It has always looked faded [red] compared to the rest of the car which looks really good. Every other day I think about re-painting it. How much do you thing it would cost these days if I removed it, stripped it, and took it someplace?
                    Upon closer inspection of the glass in the green hatch from the 93 L, it appears that the glass that is in it had been in another car before because it has defogger wires and also has faint marking on the glass that would have been made by a rear wiper, which the green hatch does not have.
                    I will update this thread later with some photos of my progress on this project and also keep track of and post the costs. I'm taking my time so it might be a few weeks before I get finished with it.
                    Last edited by 1990new; 05-19-2017, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                      I have a good green hatch stripped of all its parts except for the glass. I want to get it painted pop yellow to replace the dented hatch on Nellie.
                      I have some questions for anyone who has had body parts painted before... I've done a fender with rattle can but I want a professional job on the hatch.

Should I remove the glass before having it painted? How hard is it to remove the glass? Will I need a need a new seal to replace the glass?

How should I prep the hatch for painting?
                      How much should I expect to pay for the paint job on the hatch?
                      Do you happen to have a pic of the original dented hatch? If it's not too bad you may be able to simply have it repaired by one of those 'paintless dent repair' guys cheaper than getting one painted.

Just my 2¢.

Comment

Pictures Added

Here is a slide show of photos of the yellow hatch and the green hatch.
                        There are three dented places on the yellow hatch (1 big and two small) plus a rust spot at the bottom of the glass on the left side.
                        The vehicle had had damage to the hatch and it was repaired by the previous owner which resulted in the wavy place on the left side of the license plate area and the rust spot near the glass. The other two dents (on the corner and on the top) were made while I owned the car.

There are no dents at all on the green hatch.
                        Question.. I don't need to sand down to bare metal on the green hatch do I?

http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/19...Hatch%20Repair
                        Last edited by 1990new; 05-19-2017, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                          Metal laundry ? electrocoater ? buying your own paint ? I see dollars flying out of my wallet.
                          I think I'll just stick to the basics for this job. I'll look into that kind of restoration if I decide
                          to turn one of my Festivas into a fresh out of the showroom classic antique auto.
                          The only reason I did that, was because the hatch was red and I needed green.
                          I popped out the tinted glass. I prefer clear. I still have the tinted glass.
                          Last edited by bravekozak; 05-19-2017, 09:44 PM.

Comment

My hatch was rusting from under the bottom edge of the black vinyl rubber window liner. So I used a box cutter to cut 5 small vees along the bottom edge to allow air in and moisture out, hopefully. That was 20 years ago and there hasn't been any more rust.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                              The only reason I did that, was because the hatch was red and I needed green.
                              I popped out the tinted glass. I prefer clear. I still have the tinted glass.
                              What does the finished hatch look like?

Comment

Working...
                              X