Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1991 ford festiva engine and tranny removal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 ford festiva engine and tranny removal.

I have a 1991 ford festiva with the stock 1.3L engine paired with an automatic transmission. it was rolled but it still runs and drives. I cut the top off and have been using it as a go cart for awhile but now I got a 1992 body to put my drivetrain in. i ordered a set of all the gaskets to replace them while i have it out. what is the easiest way to pull it?

If you have a way to lift the car, drop the engine out the bottom, still attached to the cradle.
    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

I had no problems pulling the engine from the top. Just needed a little bit of wiggling because I use a fair amount of slack in the chain. Just don't forget to disconnect anything. I ripped up my throttle cable last time I did it.
      Here's a rough walkthrough:
      BAG AND TAG EVERYTHING
      If you unbolt, disconnect, or otherwise remove something, put it in its own bag and label what it is. [This is the easiest way to do anything!]
      •Disconnect battery
      •Drain all fluids
      •Lift front of car and support with Jack stands in suitable locations just behind the firewall, such as the pinch welds or lower rails
      •Unbolt both lower control arms at the balljoints
      •With that extra slack, remove the drive axles from the transmission. They should pull straight out, but the C-clips get stuck some times, so this may require a LOT of prying, but be careful. Make sure you do not damage the seals.
      •Unbolt the exhaust from the cat and give a gentle pry
      •Unbolt the shift linkage (one bolt on a U-joint by the trans)
      •Disconnect the branch of wiring harness running along back of engine (alternator plugs, coolant temperature sensor, IAC valve, neutral safety, reverse lights, grounds, etc)
      •Disconnect main loom on front of engine (Injector harness, distributor plug, water temperature sending unit, O2 sensor, grounds, etc)
      •Disconnect ignition coil wire
      •Disconnect all other ground wires
      •Remove intake tube
      •Remove all vacuum lines that are not staying on the engine (brake booster, charcoal canister, cruise control, etc)
      •Remove clutch cable
      •Remove speedometer cable
      •Remove throttle cable
      •Remove heater hoses. If you remove them from the fire wall, do NOT twist or pull. Remove them by CUTTING them off to avoid damaging the heater core.
      •Remove Fuel lines. Use much caution to avoid starting a fire
      •Support engine with hoist
      •Unbolt stabilizer bar, front and rear trans mounts, and the engine mount
      •Lift engine and trans slowly, checking for snags, obstacles, and anything still connected.

This walkthrough is from my own personal experience on 1991 L trim Festivas with only factory equipment.
      A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
      Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

Originally posted by sc72 View Post
        If you have a way to lift the car, drop the engine out the bottom, still attached to the cradle.
        What cradle?
        Ive taken them out top and bottom.
        Out the bottom you have to lift the car up a long ways. Out the top you have to remove the hood.
        Out the bottom you can leave cv axles attached to trans but i think thats the only benefit

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Rick
          1993 Ford Festiva
          1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
          1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
          2000 Ford E350

Comment

^ lol
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

You know its SO true too
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Last time i used one was trying to remove a forklift engine. Maximum tensile strength of whatever part i didnt remove was stronger than the hoist... lol.
                I wasnt operating the hoist in case your wondering... still cant believe he didnt even say anything to me before it broke....

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

**Rear wiring also includes starter wires**
                  You do not need to remove the hood if your chain is a reasonable length. If it is too long, you will have clearance issues.
                  A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
                  Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

Of course to answer his question. The easiest way to remove the engine is to have someone else do it while your drinking beer.

Comment

^^^ LOL yup a cold beer in one hand and the channel changer in the other.
                      Hey ryanprins, what cradle? your right, I should have said cross member, thank you for the correction, If I have a car that is going to be a parts car and I'm not worried about scratching the paint, the engine comes out the bottom, i have an overhead hoist, so in about an hour the engine is out the bottom.
                      An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Working...
                      X