88 festiva no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 festiva no spark

I have an 88 model festiva. Just bought it. Had been sitting a couple years. Needed a head, took head off running 93 efi car. (Casting # was same). The car ran fine for 4-5 hrs, was looking the car over and noticed the coil was puking oil out where the coil wire goes. Replaced coil with an msd blaster 2 coil i had. Started the car, it ran about 10 seconds and died.
    No fire.. tried a brand new coil.. no fire. Im getting an occasional weak fire with my spark tester but the car will not hit. The pulse and voltage read as they should with volt meter. Im about to pull my hair out!!! I would buy a reman dist. If i knew it would fix it. But im not sure since im getting a pulse to the coil from the dist.
    Any help would be appreciated.

May have fried the ground trigger in the dizzy, MSD coils are known to do that to our systems, that's why you always hear me recommend an Accel Super Coil instead. The internal resistance is different between the two.
    Also remanufactured dizzys are hit and miss with our cars as well.

First thing to check is for oil behind the cap and dust cover of the dizzy. If you see even a trace of anything, get some non-chlorinated brake clean and hose it down till it runs clear. It might take a few goes at it. Let it dry out and then try to fire up the engine once it's all back together.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Already pulled the old one for core. Looks good and clean inside. Sprayed the brake cleaner and very little debris and no oil at all. Guess im off to get one in the morning.

Comment

Working...
      X