No announcement yet.

continued idle problems under load.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine was having the same issue and also had low compression in two cylinders. Mine had broken rings on two pistons.
    Rick
    1993 Ford Festiva
    1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
    1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
    2000 Ford E350

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone! I don't I spend that kind of time and money on this car. It has some pretty bad rust so I'll just drive it and get my other one together. Maybe steal the AC and power steering off of it. Accept my losses.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cahman8 View Post
        Thanks for the help everyone! I don't I spend that kind of time and money on this car. It has some pretty bad rust so I'll just drive it and get my other one together. Maybe steal the AC and power steering off of it. Accept my losses.

I would blow compressed air into the cylinders one at a time and verify where I was losing compression. I would also retorque the head. If your car has adjustable valves do a valve adjustment also. I've had cars with the heads so loose they wouldn't start and a retorque got them mobile again,some longer than others.Also permatex makes a pretty good head gasket in a bottle product. It's not right but if you follow the directions it works pretty good, Iused the crap in a temporary emergency type situations more than once and it worked until I fixed the car right or the car died from other problems. Where are you in missouri, maybe I can give you a hand?
        Last edited by ricko1966; 09-30-2017, 08:56 AM.
        30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Originally posted by cahman8 View Post

Its not that much money. A leakdown test will tell you if its the head gasket, the rings or the valves. Head gasked $15 CAD, rings are $40cad and if its the valves you coukd grab used ones and replace the valve stem seals for like $8 or less. With some help none of these jobs take even half as long as swapping stuff to another car.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't know I might mess with it but like I said it's rusted pretty bad. I'm afraid it will end up like the one I pulled the low milage motor out of with the rear axle hanging loose by the shocks.

Comment

I was gonna put together this other one as a low budget project anyway just for the fun of it. See how I do on a paint job and maybe some interior work.

Last edited by cahman8; 09-30-2017, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Check your alternator belt for being to loose. Mine wouldn't idle because of that awhile back. Don't over tighten it but slightly loose can do this.

Comment

Working...
                X