91 festiva won't run on its own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 festiva won't run on its own

I have a junker 91 festiva that I can't get to start up. I squirt fuel into the throttle body and it runs on those fumes great but then dies. I'm pretty sure its the fuel pump. Previous owner said it had something to do with the steering wheel...? The steering wheel is off, the ignition switch cut into (start it with a flathead screwdriver), and none of the connections at the steering wheel are hooked up. Lights come on and fan comes on when turning the key (screwdriver :-P) Any tips on how to see if the fuel pump is working and/or get it to work? P.S. I know something to do with the relay might be it but I'm confused as to wether the relay needs to be changed or what....
    Thanks!
    Last edited by jjaynes; 09-04-2017, 07:49 PM.
    '93 Festiva L "Blue Beauty"
    '91 Festiva L (Red, parts car, future project)
    '90 Festiva L (Junker, Red)
    '98 Explorer XLT "Exploder"

Reach into the afm and push in on the flap with the key on, this should run the fuel pump .

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
      Reach into the afm and push in on the flap with the key on, this should run the fuel pump .
      What is this "afm" (I am pretty inexperienced as far as fuel systems go). Also, what does it mean if this doesn't make the fuel pump run?
      Last edited by jjaynes; 09-04-2017, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Starts while cranking on eyther, I would make sure I have voltage to the coil in the run position and my duct work connected from throttle plate to air flow meter.Some cars will have voltage to the coil in crank position but lose that signal in run position due to a bad ignition switch switch the fact you are using a screwdriver makes me suspicious of this possibility. Many injected cars will not run without all the intake ductwork also. If you flip the back seat forward there is a plate under the carpet under the back seat on the drivers side,it is for fuel pump access check for voltage to the pump at the conector with the afm wedged open,I can look up color code for you if you don't have a manual, if you have voltage to the pump 90 percent it's a bad pump but do post before buying a pump if you have voltage to the pump. I have 2 more tests to perform 1st
        Last edited by ricko1966; 09-04-2017, 09:06 PM.
        30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Generally referred to as a vaf, vane air flow meter. It's the silver/black box that it over the air filter.
          Jerry
          Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
          90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
          92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
          93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

The air flow meter sets on top of the air box it measures air flow into the engine it also triggers the fuel pump
            If it doesn't run its the fuel pump or the relay.
            You can jumper the relay and bypass the afm trigger by jumping the t shaped connection by the break booster.
            I bought a festiva a few years ago with that connector jumped and I figured it was a bad relay but turned out after swapping the relay out it was in fact a bad afm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
            Last edited by william; 09-04-2017, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Wow! Looks like I've got some work to do. I'll update as I work on it.

Comment

Where at in NC are you? I am in Chapel Hill (Thrill) and there are many others in the state. Maybe one of us can help.
                Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Simply pull the fuel hose off of the rail and stick it into a bottle and then turn the engine over for a second to see if any fuel is coming out. Or ground out the diagnostic pin next to the brake booster and that will turn the Fuel Pump on when the key is in the run position.
                  "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                  sigpic
                  "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                  "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                  "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                  "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
                    Simply pull the fuel hose off of the rail and stick it into a bottle and then turn the engine over for a second to see if any fuel is coming out. Or ground out the diagnostic pin next to the brake booster and that will turn the Fuel Pump on when the key is in the run position.
                    Well we all made that harder than it needed to be. I do have a question though what do festys need to run the pump? For example most GM stuff you turn the key the pump runs 10seconds and shuts off until the vehicle is actually running, Watercooled VW uses a signal from the distributor to close the fuel pump relay to light up the pump,so unless the distributor is turning or the relay is bypassed you get no power to the pump.From reading Williams post I take it the pump on a festy won't run with out airflow through the air flow meter.
                    30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

I am pretty sure that is the answer, if it comes on with the key it is only for a split second.

There is an Inertia Switch in the rear of the Festiva that will cut the Fuel Pump off if there car flips or experiences enough vibration to trip it. Look behind the Right Rear plastic molding for that part and make sure the red button is depressed.

You should probably change the fuel filter and drain the tank before trying to start the car because you have no clue what is in that tank to be honest.
                      "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                      sigpic
                      "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                      "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                      "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                      "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

I don't understand what to ground out...pictures would help. I have no manual and no experience

Comment

The Inertia Switch is on the Driver's Side on my car....

Comment

check near the rear driver wheel housing under the speaker , there is a switch to cut off the fuel pump whenever an collision , just press the red button to reset fluel pump DC 12 volts

Comment

Sorry i was on the first page of the thread an i did not see the last answers from Firebush357 and radi8u ( inertia switch ) is what i mean

Comment

Working...
                              X