Where to rustproof a festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to rustproof a festiva

This first post is editied to have my new how-to video which is much better than the one that I originally had here. The post below will have my old video that was in this first post before.
    So I made a video of where festivas should be rustproofed and where they rust. The time of year to do it is just before it starts snowing and the sand and salt gets on the road again.

The video is long, but should explain everything fully. In the description is an index so you can just see a part if you like. Here is whats in the index:

WHERE rust starts
    WHERE to apply rust preventative
    WHERE are the drain holes which need to be cleared
    WHAT to use and not to use- the end shows the cans and what the spray looks like.
    WHY to do this
    HOW to prep first time
    HOW to apply

Ideally you would apply this really well once, then quickly once a year after that. Really well being wiping the dirt out of the interior panels, blowing all the dust out and spraying all nice inside. Quickly being just spraying it through the quickly accessible holes. Perhaps every 5 years doing it really well would be good if your in an area with bad rust.

It seems we loose a lot of festivas to rust, probably even more than we do to neglected mechanical maintinance. Think of this as maintinance as well. To do a good and thorough job takes a saterday and $30 or less. After that the once a year under the car goes real quick, like 2 hrs if you take your time maybe.
    if your festiva is already rusty-even very rusty-this will still slow down the progress of the rust a lot.

I bought my first festiva in 2007 with 219,000km from a guy who thought it was at the end of its life. It had been in an accident, was rusty, it got lots of bondo, painted and then sold to me.
    I drove it until last winter with 465,000km on it and the engine was still fine, it had just rusted out because i never took care of that, never expecting it to last that long. It saw 14km of gravel roads a day, sand and salt half the year, snow, mud, i almost never washed it, had it deeper than the floorboards in water more than once, never knocked the snow, mud or manure off my boots before getting in ....
    I did everything in that car for almost 10yrs and then had to park it and get another one. That was pretty sad. Even if i just had done this once when i first bought it it would have made a massive difference.

This is when i bought it and youll see in the video how bad it is now.

What you dont see is underneath. Thats this:

Save your festivas!!

I showed 2 of the rustproofers i tried in the video. I tried 3 different kinds of oil/wax based ones and liked Fluid film most. Its about $14CAD/can on sale. I tried a proform aerosol and I cant remember the other, but it was from canadian tire. You can use others:
    -WmWatt used Canola oil thinned down with solvent and sprayed on with one of those pressurized bottle sprayers. He says canola oil is a modified rapeseed oil which clings to metal even when wet. It was used for rust preventative in the old days.
    This is a Link to pictures of how and what to use when applying canola or engine oil which WmWatt put in post #14 on this thread

-Some dude commented on my video that KL-73 from home hardware is half the price and comes in liquid or aerosol. I havent seen it.
    -rustproofing was talked about a lot in a build thread of mine. Whats below is from that thread. Photos of most of the products mentioned as well as discussion is in post #40-44, 50-60 here: https://fordfestiva.com/forums/showt...ighlight=moses
    -William said 3m cavity wax and 360 wand, or SEM 39573 rust preventer & do annually
    -Advancedynamix said Daubert Cromwell nox-rust 3100 works awesome to prevent rust. It is very thin when sprayed and then dries to a waxy finish, and it smells like melted crayons.
    -reddragon had this tip: Use zinc as a sacrificial anode - zinc based primers, zinc coated bolts, screws etc. will help prevent mild steel from rusting. Electrons will transfer from zinc to steel, replenishing the electrons lost to oxygen.
    Along the same lines, the flow of electrons can be reversed.... so avoid using stainless steel products.

This was the first video, I wasnt happy with it because I was in too much of a hurry-had to get back inside so my wife could leave, i repeated myself a lot, almost filled my phone storage and the sun was low in the sky and the camera wouldnt adjust for low light under the car at all... So I redid it.
    Last edited by w4rkry; 11-10-2017, 09:41 AM. Reason: Fixed with new content

Thanks. Shame about your car. I spray mine every October before winter with oil (recently switched from used motor oil to environmentally friendly canola oil) diluted 25% with solvent so it's thin enough to spray with a garden sprayer. Underside, rubber plug holes in fenders, doors (make sure windows are up), hatch, hood. Consequently I've got a nice clean car. Previously I went over the underside with a hammer and cold chisel knocking off rust scale and painting with rust paint. Don't have to do that any more. When spraying wheel wells I tie a plastic bag over the front rotors to keep the oil off them.
    Last edited by WmWatt; 09-28-2017, 11:00 AM.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
      Thanks. Shame about your car. I spray mine every October before winter with oil (recently switched from used motor oil to environmentally friendly canola oil) diluted 25% with solvent so it's thin enough to spray with a garden sprayer. Underside, rubber plug holes in fenders, doors (make sure windows are up), hatch, hood. Consequently I've got a nice clean car. Previously I went over the underside with a hammer and cold chisel knocking off rust scale and painting with rust paint. Don't have to do that any more. When spraying wheel wells I tie a plastic bag over the front rotors to keep the oil off them.
      I was hoping you would add to this! Thanks.
      Yeah, it made me pretty sad to park that car... just a couple cans of oil and i would still be driving it...

What solvent do you use? Or does it matter?
      Hammer and chisel??? [emoji50] wire wheels and needle scalers are cheap, lol.

On the front do you still have the plastic fender liners and you remove them to spray underneath and put em back on or are you missing them?

Did you ever take interior panels off to spray inside the car or did you always acess from outside?

My transmission seals leaked for a long time and after i degreased and pressurewashed under the car you could see that where the oil had hit the underside from the trans was significantly less rusty [emoji14]

Today i thought of a lot of other things i should have added to this video so i wrote em down and the next video will be better.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I use whatever solvent I have. I mostly get them at garage sales but sometimes retail.

The plastic fender liners stay put during the spray.

Once I took the door liner off to clean and put a couple coats of rust paint along the inside bottom for extra protection. No problems there before or since.

The front edge join of the rear fender to the body comes stuffed with foam for soundproofing I guess but it traps condensation. I've filled small holes there. I fill with epoxy which is strong and waterproof and use it to seal the seam as well.

I've had the rear bumper off to clean and paint for better protection. Also both front fenders to clean up around the bottom bolt and paint.

Just washing the car by hand is a good way to keep an eye on the body and spot any rust early.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I use whatever solvent I have. I mostly get them at garage sales but sometimes retail.

The plastic fender liners stay put during the spray.

Once I took the door liner off to clean and put a couple coats of rust paint along the inside bottom for extra protection. No problems there before or since.

The front edge join of the rear fender to the body comes stuffed with foam for soundproofing I guess but it traps condensation. I've filled small holes there. I fill with epoxy which is strong and waterproof and use it to seal the seam as well.

I've had the rear bumper off to clean and paint for better protection. Also both front fenders to clean up around the bottom bolt and paint.

Just washing the car by hand is a good way to keep an eye on the body and spot any rust early.
          Ok, right on.
          What do you mean by "The front edge join of the rear fender"?
          I cant remember there being soundproofing foam anywhere when i had mine apart but i have read that some models like the LX had soundproofing that say an L didnt.

With the rear bumper thats good. They seem to fill right up with dirt which turns to mud and rots em out. The one i took off my car was nearly right full of dirt and was incredibly heavy. You could poke your finger right through the metal as well.

This is what is says on the can of rustproofer i used. A lot of hype but if even half of it is true its good stuff, thats how i ended up buying it, lol. Well that and a ton of good reviews.

Comment

The seam is between the rear fender and body. It is along the outer edge of the wheel well and exposed to all the stuff splashed up off the road. I clean with a wire brush and seal (caulk?) with epoxy thickened with talc before painting with rust paint.

When I took off the rear bumper I stuffed scraps of Styrofoam in the open spaces to keep out water. It was a long time ago so I can't envision now just what I did.

I'm too cheap to buy special sprays. I spray WD-40 (water dispersant 40) on contacts and other small things where I think moisture might be a problem. (I just sprayed WD-40 on the front seat guides because the driver's seat was getting hard to adjust and it moves freely now.)

Comment

I leave my valve cover loose for continuous year round rust protection. JK
              30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

WD-40 has many uses. The argument is out there whether it is good for preventing corrosion or not. That being said, we are forbidden to use WD-40 on aircraft at work. I wouldn't personally use it for rust prevention. Corrosion X is a much better rust inhibitor than WD-40.

Comment

The seam is between the rear fender and body. It is along the outer edge of the wheel well and exposed to all the stuff splashed up off the road. I clean with a wire brush and seal (caulk?) with epoxy thickened with talc before painting with rust paint.

When I took off the rear bumper I stuffed scraps of Styrofoam in the open spaces to keep out water. It was a long time ago so I can't envision now just what I did.

I'm too cheap to buy special sprays. I spray WD-40 (water dispersant 40) on contacts and other small things where I think moisture might be a problem. (I just sprayed WD-40 on the front seat guides because the driver's seat was getting hard to adjust and it moves freely now.)
                  Ok, i hate to sound dumb,sorry, but we just have different terms for car parts... do you mean where the tip of my index finger is in this photo?

And using different stuff is totally cool, whatever works, thats why i was hoping you would comment when i started this thread, lots of different things that work.

Originally posted by ricko1966 View Post
                  I leave my valve cover loose for continuous year round rust protection. JK
                  [emoji50] but honestly leaking transmission seals actually work pretty good, lol.

Originally posted by Skrapbob View Post
                  WD-40 has many uses. The argument is out there whether it is good for preventing corrosion or not. That being said, we are forbidden to use WD-40 on aircraft at work. I wouldn't personally use it for rust prevention. Corrosion X is a much better rust inhibitor than WD-40.
                  Yeah, i personally hate wd-40 as well as armorall because i was a painter in an autobody shop. Water dispersant 40 also disperses very expensive water based paint, as does armorall. And it seems that the paint only has to smell it to fisheye. So i dont use it for anything, lots of other similarly priced products that work just as well or better imho.
                  But if you thought wmwatt was using wd40 for rust prevention he wasnt. Maybe some people do but i would hate to have to paint that car... [emoji19]
                  Is wd40 not aluminum compatable or whats the issue with planes?

Comment

^^ yes that's the seam. I see a few rust bubbles at the front of the wheel well. In case anyone reading this thread sometime doens' t know, that rust is coming from the inside. There is a rubber plug in the front of the wheel well there which can be pried out with a screwdriver to spray oil into the space between the fender and body where that rust is forming.

Comment

^^ yes that's the seam. I see a few rust bubbles at the front of the wheel well. In case anyone reading this thread sometime doens' t know, that rust is coming from the inside. There is a rubber plug in the front of the wheel well there which can be pried out with a screwdriver to spray oil into the space between the fender and body where that rust is forming.
                      Alright, next time i have my tire off ill have to stick my head in there and look for this foam.
                      Using different terms doesnt bother me, but if anyone else gets confused when your talking to them the rear on our car is called a quarter panel. Inner quarter panel is the body or frame of the car and the outside is the quarter panel skin. Its replacable just like a door or roof skin. So i would call it ' inside the rear wheel well by the pinch weld of the quarter panel skin to the quarter panel.' But again, doesnt matter.
                      When i went out to look at it just now i realized that there is quite a distance where the rear quarter panel skin is either very close to or is touching the inner quarter panel. Like maybe an inch or more. Next time i have the inside plastic panel off i will have to have a look and see how tight those 2 panels are, see if i can shove a feeler gauge all the way in there. If there is no gap oil will have a hard time getting in there. If there is a small gap the surface tension of water will hold it in there so it rusts quicker. I cant tell by my photos if there is a gap, but again, for anyone else this is where the plug goes to inside the car, i circled it. So you need to spray that seam you see from there and either through the taillight hole or that acess cover to your taillights from inside to get on top of the wheel well as well.

top of the wheel well.
                      All the aluminum is sound deadner i put in by the way, festivas dont come with that but i didnt take before photos...
                      Last edited by ryanprins13; 10-06-2017, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Yep, that's the spot. Thanks for the correct terminology. I didn't know the outer panel was removable. As for reaching up into that narrow space with oil spray, the nozzle on my garden sprayer has a bend which can be rotated to spray up in there. I assume that's typical for weed sprayers. With the oil diluted and the sprayer pressure pumped up it comes out as a spray which covers a lot of surface area. Seems to work good.

Comment

Yup, its a lot of work but you can even still buy festiva quarter panels and i believe the rocker panels too off fourgreen. $200cad for a quarter panel.
                          But you typically do it for severe body damage rather than rust. If they rust out typically whatever you have to weld it to is also rusted out so theres no point. And even for body damage it has to be pretty bad. Ive only done a few quarter panel skins and i dont remember the times but to reskin a boxside of a pickup is 13hrs. You can do a lot of dent repair in that time...

This was a 10yr old chevy pickup that rusted out that i did repair on. Replaced both front fenders, replaced hood, did all 4 doorskins, replaced cab corners (bottom of c-pillar) replaced rockers, replaced both boxside skins, replaced tailgate, sandblasted and painted the frame. (This photo is of sandblasting the frame) everything is replacable, lol. We didnt do the roof skin on that truck but ive done a few, i believe hoods can be skinned but usually cheaper to replace. Tailgates, hatches and trunks can be reskined. Floorboards can be replaced, a lot of the frame of most vehicles can be sectioned and replaced with new parts.... its pretty cool actually

Ok, i didnt realize the garden sprayer would be able to reach to the top of the wheel well, thats cool. Wouldnt be able to with what i used.

Last edited by ryanprins13; 10-06-2017, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Annual underspray of Festiva yesterday with photos put in Facebook because Photobucket no longer working.
                            DIY rustproofing. Annual underspray yesterday. Photos here for thread in FordFestiva.com because Photobucket.com no longer working.

Comment

Will kindly updated the first post of this thread for me! I made a new video which is now in the first post. I also added information from other threads on the forum here to that first post and put more information in the description of the video.

Annual underspray of Festiva yesterday with photos put in Facebook because Photobucket no longer working.
                              https://www.facebook.com/william.wat...55527132396210
                              Thanks for taking those photos and adding them to this thread!

Comment

Working...
                              X