No announcement yet.

Where to rustproof a festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well its fall and time for people to think about rustproofing their festivas again! The first post in this thread has everything you need to know, the rest is good too and doesnt take long to read. Rustproofing your car takes 1-2hrs a year which is far less work and money than a rustoration down the road. Also once Charlie completes his current project and the prices of festivas increase 10x youll wish yours had less rust. A stock festiva just sold for more than the new list price 25years ago. That wont be the last time it happens, keep up on the body maintinance as well as the mechanical!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I was going to use cosmoline. The waxy sticky stuff they ship new brake rotors etc. covered in. They used to ship Volkswagons covered in it and part of dealer prep was clean the cosmoline off. Those 1970 and earlier bugs really took a long time start rusting I attributed that to the factory coating of cosmoline. Has anyone compared cosmoline with the stuff Ryann and wmwyatt are using?
      30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Looks like some posts were lost when the website was down.

As promised the Festiva got sparayed yesterday. It sat overnigt to drip. Will take it for a drive to blow off more drips, then pick up the old newspapers lining the garage floor. Good for another year. Actually there is a build up over the years. The oil sticks to the metal and road dust sticks to the oil, mostiy in the wheel wells where the tires throw up the dust. That makes for an undercoating.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
          Looks like some posts were lost when the website was down.

As promised the Festiva got sparayed yesterday. It sat overnigt to drip. Will take it for a drive to blow off more drips, then pick up the old newspapers lining the garage floor. Good for another year. Actually there is a build up over the years. The oil sticks to the metal and road dust sticks to the oil, mostiy in the wheel wells where the tires throw up the dust. That makes for an undercoating.
          Great! I was going to do mine today but didnt end up getting the sprayer that i was supposed to. So it has to wait until i get one...

Originally posted by ricko1966 View Post
          I was going to use cosmoline. The waxy sticky stuff they ship new brake rotors etc. covered in. They used to ship Volkswagons covered in it and part of dealer prep was clean the cosmoline off. Those 1970 and earlier bugs really took a long time start rusting I attributed that to the factory coating of cosmoline. Has anyone compared cosmoline with the stuff Ryann and wmwyatt are using?
          I looked up cosmoline a little. Its great for rustproofing stationary things. Juat like say vasaline would be. But i didnt see much about how well it handles road spray and pressurewashing. I also saw some people say when it gets old if you havent touched it it gets hard and cracks. Im not sure how well it would work, i didnt find much about using it on cars that are on the road. The fluid film stays waxy and doesnt harden. It also doesnt do too bad as far as washing off. Im not as sure about the canola oil, it obviously wouldnt harden and i believe wmwyatt said it resists washing off fairly well. I plan to try it for the first time this fall once i get a sprayer.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ryan wanted to know if the canola oil gets rancid and smells. I've never smelled anything. But right after application the solvent used to dilute the canola oil evaporates so it smells like oil paint drying if you leave the car in a garage. No smell inside the car when driving.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
            X