No announcement yet.

Clutch removal problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The joys of Festiva ownership. The engine will need to dip as far as possible (watch the upper rad hose) to clear the trans.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
      1 of those 10mm bolts will hold the entire thing together..... I spent 20 minutes trying to pry one apart just to find out I missed 1 10mm bolt!
      Those kind of things are so frustrating. Reminds me of the last time i replaced a clutch and i bolted everything back togeather. Went to hook up the starter and i had pinched a wire for the started between the engine and transmission. Had to loosen everything and pry them apart to get that stupid wire back out, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Sweet baby Jesus, it's finally out! Yes there were 4 10mm bolts. Thanks again for all your help so far.
        1992 Ford Festiva 1.3 L 4-cylinder

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
          Those kind of things are so frustrating. Reminds me of the last time i replaced a clutch and i bolted everything back togeather. Went to hook up the starter and i had pinched a wire for the started between the engine and transmission. Had to loosen everything and pry them apart to get that stupid wire back out, lol.

Not as bad as forgetting to ground the trans case and having all the current run through a 18agw sensor ground... Oops!
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

In case anyone comes across this thread in the future: I watched several YouTube videos on how to get the pilot bearing out with out removing the flywheel. Jamming the pilot bearing hole with bread and hammering it out worked really well. It popped right out.

Comment

Did you jam the bread before you jammed the hole wih the bread? lol
              May i ask why you didnt want to remove the flywheel?

Comment

Never heard of bread being used but grease out of a grease gun works to . But glad you got it out .

Comment

Did you jam the bread before you jammed the hole wih the bread? lol
                  May i ask why you didnt want to remove the flywheel?

Because I was lazy. The flywheel looked like it was in good shape. I guess the biggest reason was because I didn't know how to get the flywheel to stop spinning when I was loosening the bolts.
                  Last edited by Timothy; 10-24-2017, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
                    Because I was lazy. The flywheel looked like it was in good shape. I guess the biggest reason was because I didn't know how to get the flywheel to stop spinning when I was loosening the bolts.
                    Oh, i see. Just use an impact to loosen and when you tighten put a socket and breaker bar on the big bolt on the other end of the crankshaft. When the breaker bar hits the floor then you can tighten with the torque wrench. Loctite is needed on the flywheel bolts for anyone else reading. Or your clutch may get covered in oil.

Comment

More problems.

I've got the transaxle bolted and into place but the longitudinal support isn't bolting back into place. The bolts are now scewed. Instead of going in straight they go in at a slight weird angle. The only way the back two bolts will go in is if I really really twist them hard. It's almost like it's cross threaded. So I stop and try and hand tighten the bolt but it just won't work.

At this point I'm about to tap the hole to get the bolt to thread. I just don't get it.
                      Last edited by Timothy; 10-25-2017, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Ok, the crossmember was not bolted to the transmission right? Thats done last.
                        Sounds like you need new bolts and to chase the threads on the captive nuts.
                        Then Hold it up there, start the rear 2 bolts by hand, 4 or 5 turns. Then let the crossmember rest on them and start the front ones by hand, 4 or 5 turns again. Then you can use a ratchet or whatever to tighten. Then after that bolt the transmission to the mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                          Not as bad as forgetting to ground the trans case and having all the current run through a 18agw sensor ground... Oops!
                          LOL! That happened to me a while ago. It took replacing the starter 3 times to figure out all the current was going through a tiny wire.
                          Dark blue '91 B6t + E series
                          Something new breaks every day

Comment

Ok, the crossmember was not bolted to the transmission right? Thats done last.
                            Sounds like you need new bolts and to chase the threads on the captive nuts.
                            Then Hold it up there, start the rear 2 bolts by hand, 4 or 5 turns. Then let the crossmember rest on them and start the front ones by hand, 4 or 5 turns again. Then you can use a ratchet or whatever to tighten. Then after that bolt the transmission to the mounts.

Thanks for your suggestions. I bought a tap and die set and re bore the bolt hole as well as the bolts. They went right in all nice like.

But alas there is one more problem. I let the stabilizer and shifter rod hang too long and it popped the shifter out of place and it falls through the floor now. I've read all the old posts about running a bolt to secure it, but none of the posts make sense to me and they are old and the photos have been removed. Any suggestions or a photo to help me understand how to fix this?

Comment

Working...
                            X