Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear suspension noise - right side maybe??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear suspension noise - right side maybe??

So I have a suspension related noise when driving. It sounds kind of like if you had a broken sway bar end link but not quite that bad.

I'm not familiar with the rear suspension but it looks a bit different from cars I'm used to. Can you suggest the most common parts that may cause a knocking noise over bumps? It seems to be coming from the right rear area.

I already checked and removed everything from the trunk so it's not junk rattling around inside the back.

Possible rear struts are bad or a bad bushing in the rear suspension.

Comment

Exhaust pipe or muffler? Grab the end of the pipe at the back of the car when cool and give it a shake.
      I learned recently modern shocks are double action, light action and heavy action. Jumping up and down on the bumper can find heavy action noises Lighter, faster, pressure is needed to hear ight action noise. Mine sounded fine when I jumped up and down on the bumper but when I used lighter, faster action the noise occured. I have also jacked up the car, wedged a 2x4 under the tire, and leavered the wheel up and down to hear suspension noises.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Mine made noise when the lower bolt came loose. Check top and bottom bolts for tightness. Grad the struts and shake em to see if their loose.
        Otherwise their probably worn out.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I just changed the muffler yesterday so it's not that. I did try jumping up and down on the rear bumper but can't duplicate the noise. I guess I need to find someone to drive me around and I'll sit in the back seat and try to listen where it's coming from. But will check the bolts and stuff in the meantime.

Comment

Suggestion: maybe if the back seat is folded down you could get you ear closer to the sound near the back.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Is the car rusty? Could the rear axle be coming off?

Comment

My Festiva has had a knock at the rear right for years. The struts were replaced last year so that's not it. It only happens at idle, say waiting for a light to change, and only when the brake pedal is depressed. If the brake pedal is released the knock goes away. I've looked around back there but can't find it. Doesn't seem to affect performance. Just in case you can't locate yours.

PS You might check that the lug bolts on the wheel are tight and that the bearings aren't loose. To check bearings relese the hand brake and push and pull on the top of the wheel to see if there is any play. The reason to release the hand brake is it will make noise when pushing and pulling on the wheel.

Comment

My Festiva has had a knock at the rear right for years. The struts were replaced last year so that's not it. It only happens at idle, say waiting for a light to change, and only when the brake pedal is depressed. If the brake pedal is released the knock goes away. I've looked around back there but can't find it. Doesn't seem to affect performance. Just in case you can't locate yours.

PS You might check that the lug bolts on the wheel are tight and that the bearings aren't loose. To check bearings relese the hand brake and push and pull on the top of the wheel to see if there is any play. The reason to release the hand brake is it will make noise when pushing and pulling on the wheel.

Comment

I checked the lug nuts, they're fine. I did find when I pushed and pulled the LR strut it did make a tiny noise so I will investigate that next. I'm not sure how to take off all the rear trim to check the top bolt/nut holding the strut on but I will go there next.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post

I have the same thing on my new one! Its like a fast tapping. It doesnt always happen, just sometimes. My current theory is its the idle change when you hit the brake starts a vibration at the back, then the wind catches the licence plate just right and rattles it. But i dunno.
                      Originally posted by 93FestyEh View Post
                      I checked the lug nuts, they're fine. I did find when I pushed and pulled the LR strut it did make a tiny noise so I will investigate that next. I'm not sure how to take off all the rear trim to check the top bolt/nut holding the strut on but I will go there next.
                      Yes, check bottom bolt for tightness first since its easiest to get to, but to get to the top one you first take out the small panel with the speaker. Then take the rear panel off. All just phillips screws.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 93FestyEh View Post
                        How did it go? Did you find the source of the noise?

Comment

I didn’t do anything further.

Comment

At the top of the rear strut are two rubber donuts. the lower one has a raised ridge area around the donut hole to fit up into the strut tower hole in the body. That provides isolation of the strut shaft from hitting the body, which makes a knocking noise. Check to see if the lower donut is centered in the strut tower hole, and the raised ridge is not worn away.
                            Last edited by TominMO; 01-13-2018, 02:21 PM.
                            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                            X