Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cut out on the way home. Now won't start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut out on the way home. Now won't start.

It's been a while since I've posted here. Been busy and side-tracked, I suppose.

Swapped in a B8 in my '93 about a two months ago. Has run fantastic until last night. I was cruising about 65 in 5th and all of a sudden acceleration stopped and it felt like I was out of gas (1/2 tank - confirmed). I pulled off and checked all over for vacuum/intake leaks. Couldn't find anything. Got back in and she fired right up no problem, so I headed back out. I got about 2 miles to a hill, and barely made it to the top. It'd start and idle, but not move without stalling out. Ended up having her towed the last 20 miles.

Today from parts I had waiting to be installed:

New fuel pump
    New fuel pump sock
    New fuel filter (not stock Festiva - but same size inlet and outlet from an FI car)
    New coil

After the pump it fired right up.... then died completely after I tried to move it. Now it just turns over and allllmooost catches, but won't start.

Pump is working.
    Reset inertia switch though it was fine.
    No intake leaks that I can find.
    Tapped on injectors lightly, didn't help.

What else is there.. bad gas? Air in fuel lines?

Thanks.

Joe
    Last edited by Spike; 12-10-2017, 03:15 PM.
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

A neat thing to try is to jack up the front end so the wheels are off the ground and try again. That takes the load off and eliminates one thing from the diagnosis.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

You need to find out if its fuel spark or air.

But first I had a rotor go bad which acted like it would almost start.

Pull a spark plug ground it see if you got spark.

Put a pressure gauge on the fuel line. Should have about 30 psi when trying to start.

Let us know what you find

Comment

Also check inside the coil, where the wire attaches, for corrosion. That shut me down one night, but luckily I had a spare coil (and william) with me to get me right. My symptoms were similar to yours.
        Last edited by TominMO; 12-10-2017, 06:33 PM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

No fuel.

Put my thumb on the fuel line while someone else cranked. Not a drop of fuel. Spark is nice and strong from both the coil wire and plug wire #1.

I'll take a look in my FSM and see other causes of the pump not working. Guess I'll take everything back apart and test the leads tomorrow after work.

Thanks. Joe
          Last edited by Spike; 12-10-2017, 06:33 PM.
          1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Sounds similar to when I installed a new pump. I can't remember exactly what I did wrong(horrible memory) but it was something simple that was not allowing the fuel to go into the fuel lines.
            Last edited by Eaglefreek; 12-10-2017, 06:53 PM.
            Rick
            1993 Ford Festiva
            1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
            1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
            2000 Ford E350

Comment

Check the vaf make sure it is plugged in good. Check the flapper making sure it is opening freely and smoothly.

Check any wiring that was modified.

Check ground on fuel pump.

Comment

Welp.. dunno exactly what fixed it, to be honest. I pulled the pump again, removed all the wiring ect. Tightened it all back down including the ground screw on the sending unit (mayyybe 1/4 turn?), checked all the lines and wiring and didn't see anything wrong. Pulled all three engine fuses and replaced with spares.

Cranked (could hear pump as I could before) and cranked and cranked and cranked and it fired. I think I had an air pocket maybe? I do notice I screwed up my float in the process of all this. Filled tank all the way up and now showing 1/4 full. :| I just put 30 miles round trip no problem. Actually a bit smoother.

Thank you everyone for your help and insight! Hope she stays running.

Joe
                1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Hey Spike, how do you like the performance of the B8? What's it out of?
                  '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                  '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                  '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Mine is out of a '94 Mazda Protege DX automatic that had 94k miles (DX means it's a single cam, LX had the dual cam/BP engine).

So far I like it quite a bit! It feels pretty close to the BP in terms of acceleration (which is saying something, as the trans gearing is much shorter with the G-series on Nancy). Not holding the clutch and letting off as normal (say, 1600 RPM), flooring it will cause a good bit of tire smoke by the time you hit 30MPH in 1st. In the 1.5k miles I've put on, I've been averaging about 34MPG. Likely because winter gas and I haven't taken it on too much highway yet (and I've been a bit hard on it). I'm hoping for atleast 37-40 on long hauls.

The swap itself was pretty dead easy, especially going into a '93 car with the correct crank pulley ect. Mounting took nothing except moving the top passenger engine mount in about an inch. As of right now the stock transmission and clutch (Exedy - new) have been holding no problem!

It's a great swap for those who don't want to go through the extra bit of wiring for a BP/keep the stock transmission without too much worry.

Joe
                    Last edited by Spike; 12-11-2017, 07:27 PM.
                    1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

I needed to find an engine quick and couldn't find a decent B8 so I went with a B6ME. I am impressed with it compared to the B3 at least. When the B6T car is running I will be looking for a B8. I appreciate the explanation of DX being single cam and LX being twin cam. I actually have a BP that came out of a Kia. When I bought the B6ME the yard was having a going out of business sale. I got the BP for another $100. If you set the B6ME and the BP side by side you can see that the BP will be a tight fit. Over the years I had quite a few big engines in a small body type cars. I rate accessibility and ease of repair quite highly. That being said I like the idea of a B8 with A/C. The B6T car will not be running A/C, it would be nice if the other had it. It sounds like you have a nice collection.
                      '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                      '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                      '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Well let us know if anything goes wrong again, did the check engine light come on?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

If you say you could hear the pump run but no pressure it could have been the o ring leaking and the pressure going back into the tank rather then up the line. Had that happen on a car I just got that the previous owner replaced the pump on the pinched the oring when putting the pump in.

Comment

Yeah- I put in a fuel pump- and still jumping it to get it to whirr-
                            have since heard that if it isn't snug, it just spews all the gas back down into the tank- think I may call in a pro- hate working with an open tank of gas under me, and a bit of a hack when it gets to that level.
                            Last edited by harpon; 12-12-2017, 10:18 PM.

Comment

No CEL ever came on, just lost power. I think the strain of the B8 injectors on a 24 year old pump was just a bit too much.

Went through a tank of gas this week without skipping a beat, hope it stays that way! Thanks to everyone for your help.

Joe
                              1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Working...
                              X