B3 multipoint dies when idling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B3 multipoint dies when idling

My Kia pride, 8v sohc multipoint, has some (well, alot of) issues....
    Can’t find any vacume leaks with break cleaner...
    And also a strange ignition(key) problem.
    Help would be much appriciated!
    Last edited by Ron 101; 01-07-2018, 09:28 AM.

Your ignition problem may be a bad switch. Try cleaning the contacts. Will have to remove covers around steering column.

Your hla's are not working. Try some seafoam in the oil. Check your oil level and pressure. You may need to replace the hla's.

Comment

^^ like he says, spray WD-40 into the ignition key hole and work it in with the key. Do this a few times before giving up.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Thank you,
        How can you tell the hla’s aren’t working?

Comment

All the ticking nosies. Engine should be quiet

Comment

Oil level and pressure are ok, so replacing them would be best I geuss...
            Could this be the reason for it cutting of tho? I’ve heard worse....
            Last edited by Ron 101; 01-08-2018, 11:19 AM.

Comment

first were are you?

Need to know a lot more about your history with the car. what have you done to it. how long you've had it. etc

You can run the engine at night to see if there are any sparks around dist. or ing. this engine likes clean cap and wires in good shape. A tune up is a good starting place.

doing a chemical clean of the inside of the engine may solve the problem. We use a product called seafoam.

these are cheap starting places.

good luck

Comment

Thank you,
                I have No history with the car, just Did oil and stuff, drove it 100 miles when I picked it up, all good as long as I didn’t stop.
                It’s dark right now, so i’ll check for sparks.
                It has 125000km (somewhere Round 90k miles)
                Bought it because it came with an almost mint wagon...
                Payed 400 USD for it, so doesn’t really matter, but if I sell it on, i’d like the buyer to have a relieable car.
                We don’t Have the seafoam here, but i’d imagine there’s simular stuff available....
                Thanks again,
                I do know about cars and mechanics, but mostly older stuff

Comment

No rogue sparks.... also the dropping I rpms seams very regular, so i’d feel it’s a vacuum problem, but I Did the break cleaner check again and nothing...
                  When cold start it actually sounds good to me...
                  Engine flush and tune up next then
                  Ignition clean and lube didn’t work btw
                  Last edited by Ron 101; 01-08-2018, 01:26 PM.

Comment

"the twerp" = Antwerp?
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Yep

Comment

The flex hose that connects the air filter to the intake will crack and give problems. remove and inspect. There is a flapper in the vaf (air cleaner). Check to see if it opens and closes without binding. most likely not the problem but a easy check.

You can increase the idle to see if it will stay running. think it is the round black button by the spring catch.

Comment

Your car starts without pressing the clutch down? Isnt that that problem? Is the clutch switch bypassed?

With the idling issue- i see oil seepage around the pcv system. Likely the intake tubing has or had oil in it. With that low of km it was likely parked for a while. The oil may have hardened in the VAF or the throttle body when it sat.
                          My 93 has a lot of blow by and when the intake gets full of oil it doesnt like to idle.
                          Remove the intake tubing and clean the vaf, the tubing and all the air passages in the throttle body with intake cleaner.

Can we see a picture of what the car looks like please? What year is it?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by ryanprins13; 01-09-2018, 12:18 AM.

Comment

No clutch needed... it does this with or without....
                            Intake tubing looked ok, vacuüm line to brake booster is one way?... but Same when blocked off.
                            I do have a working VAF on the wagon, so will check

2000 Kia pride 1.3 8v multipoint, manual 48C72B02-81CF-4A9C-999C-402D1E651701.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker View Post
                              The flex hose that connects the air filter to the intake will crack and give problems. remove and inspect. There is a flapper in the vaf (air cleaner). Check to see if it opens and closes without binding. most likely not the problem but a easy check.

You can increase the idle to see if it will stay running. think it is the round black button by the spring catch.
                              With enough increase it does stay running, wich makes me think it could be an ignition issue...

Comment

Working...
                              X