B3 multipoint dies when idling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For y’alls information btw,
    I am pleasantly surprised with the feedback i get on this forum!
    I’ve been on other forums and not much of them are this willing to help or are that fast for that mather.
    Especially the VW forums aren’t this open for noob questions. ( my wife does like her VWs and Yes, in spite of this I still love her) .
    So Thank you!

Comment

This is a really good forum, the reason myself and perhaps others are a bit hesitant to help out is i presumed this was way different than our cars being a 2000. In 1994 the body style here changed and the engines ran on obd2.

But the body style is just like ours in this photo! Is it obd2 or obd1?

If it starts intermittantly with or without the clutch down i would suspect the clutch switch first. Its supposed to prevent you from starting the car with the clutch up and allow you with it down. Its likely malfunctioning intermittantly regardless of where the clutch is. So the signal to the starter would depend on the switch not working rather than where the clutch pedal is.

Crawl under and have a look at the switch. Its possibly broken or moved. Or the wires are loose.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

To add to the above i made a quick video showing what im talking about in case your car is completely missing the clutch switch. It was cold and i forgot to show where the wire to check your idle rpm is. Do you have a tachometer?

Comment

Will check in the morrow, Thank you bro! Stay warm.
          Think obd2 , i’ll have it read when I don’t find the problem
          Last edited by Ron 101; 01-09-2018, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I suggested earlier spraying WD-40 into the igntion keyhole. I works for the clutch switch too. The switch on my car got noisy twice over the 28 years I've owned it and both times a WD-40 shower fixed it.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
              I suggested earlier spraying WD-40 into the igntion keyhole. I works for the clutch switch too. The switch on my car got noisy twice over the 28 years I've owned it and both times a WD-40 shower fixed it.
              Tried this, didn’t work, also it has No clutch switch, thanks

Comment

The wires of the switch will be connected togeather under there somewhere then. Likely just twisted togeather and taped. They have poor or intermittant contact and thats your starting issue.

Comment

It really doesn’t have a clutch switch

Comment

Originally posted by Ron 101 View Post
                    It really doesn’t have a clutch switch
                    I believe you that its not there, thats why i took the video.
                    Every manual transmission car comes with one though.
                    My guess is that it broke, someone removed it and twisted the wires togeather so the car would think the clutch was always down and always start, even in gear with the clutch up which is what the switch is designed to prevent.

Comment

My other one doesn’t either, geuss it’s a US thing, never had a car with one before I bought my new car last year
                      No brackets or wires either
                      Last edited by Ron 101; 01-10-2018, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron 101 View Post
                        My other one doesn’t either, geuss it’s a US thing, never had a car with one before I bought my new car last year
                        No brackets or wires either
                        Sorry about that, i honestly thought it was a worldwide thing. Looks like it wasnt started that long ago in europe.
                        Well, next easiest step would be to take the plastic off the steering column and use a voltmeter on the contacts on the back of the switch to check and see if the ignition switch is the problem.

Comment

Tnx! I/we ‘ll find it.... No worries...

Comment

Just to check my language which isn't the most accurate by "clutch switch" I was referring to the white plastic switch on the floorboard high up under the clutch pedal. When the clutch pedal is depressed far enough it pushes on the switch and enables the starter motor wire to feed current to the starter motor and turn over the egnine. I hope that's what everbody else means by "clutch switch" too.
                            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I got what you meant there isn’t one
                              Last edited by Ron 101; 01-11-2018, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X