Steering Rack Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
    Ok! Thats quite a ways down there. I thought it was grease actually.

It seemed reasonably tight to me, so im good for a while. I just checked the grease i used and it is lithium based! Lucky me. Whats the reason for wanting to use a lithium based grease?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    Honestly did not know the reason for the grease being lithium based.. I had just read that somewhere in the past. Apparently it's not unusual that you used lithium based grease because it appears that at least 70% of all greases in use today uses lithium as a thickening agent.
    There are lots of kind however. After reading a bit more about grease for the rack, it appears that you need one that should be more moisture resistant than heat resistant for the manual steering rack. What I used was the multipurpose red stuff which was waxy and really sticky so it does resist moisture well.
    Here is a link to a good article on grease. I read some of it but I got tired of reading all the technical stuff after a while.
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US5236607
    Last edited by 1990new; 03-18-2018, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I havent read as much as i should know about grease. I tried 2 different brands of synthetic grease and both seperated very badly. I like molybdenim so i bought a non synthetic lithium moly grease for ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links and steering racks i suppose.

Then mystic jt6 was recommended to me for wheel bearings, so i just switched to it yesterday. It has a very different feel to it. I just looked it up and it appears i should have used their high temp grease for the wheel bearings rather than the regular. The regular is a calcium grease and more water resistant and seperation resistant but the high temp is lithium complex, thinner, better at low temps and high temps and has better wear protection...

Looks like the lithium complex would be compatable if i wanted to switch though.

Whats funny is i have been looking (but not very hard) for what i remembered wheel bearing grease being when i was a kid. Havent found it. Doing some reading just now i realized my dad used soda soap grease

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by ryanprins13; 03-18-2018, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Can anyone give me OD ID and width on the rack bushings since fourgreen has no more I am going to do a little research and try to find an alternative. Thanks
        30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Originally posted by ricko1966 View Post
          Can anyone give me OD ID and width on the rack bushings since fourgreen has no more I am going to do a little research and try to find an alternative. Thanks
          Here is a link that shows you what the bushing looks like and also has some other links to diagrams and sources (all foreign).
          The bushing is not round inside or outside. there are 3 lobes inside and outside and the outside had v grooves. I guess this allows grease and air to move around as the shaft slides.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mdx0...VWKriGJ6VZaJM:

Looks like you might be able to buy them on the Latin American ebay type site "Mercado Libre" but I don't speak Spanish.

This India site appears to be selling them for the equivalent of about $4.50 US with free shipping but that's within India.
          Last edited by 1990new; 03-18-2018, 06:59 PM.

Comment

I bought a rebuilt rack so I didn't have to go through all this aggravation. If anyone wants my old manual rack out of a 93 for the cost of shipping, send me a PM.
            Rick
            1993 Ford Festiva
            1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
            1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
            2000 Ford E350

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
              I bought a rebuilt rack so I didn't have to go through all this aggravation. If anyone wants my old manual rack out of a 93 for the cost of shipping, send me a PM.

Good point... but sometimes one man's aggravation is another man's relaxation. I didn't need that rebuilt rack right now...it's just on the shelf as a backup. If you have the parts, once you learn how simple it is, most people would find that rebuilding them is a lot easier than removing and installing them.

Check with nonamekid about your old rack. He may cover the shipping and then some if the rack is in rebuildable condition.
              Last edited by 1990new; 03-20-2018, 08:06 AM.

Comment

I was just going to go through one I had laying around as a spare
                30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
                  You should send that rack to noname kid..... I:E: Ben Williams, of The Festiva Store for rebuilding
                  Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                  Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                  Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                  Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Working...
                  X