No announcement yet.

Fixed fuel pump and now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No that vane air meter where your air filter is has a little metal door that you can push back and forth you need to take it off the air filter box with 3 bolts and the hose clamps and see what that is going on with that thing

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

TPS = throttle postition sensor. My carburetted model doesn't have one.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Checked and sprayed the vaf and tps. Still just sputteing on startup. Can’t get it to run idle now either...the steering console and ignition stuff is removed, does that wiring affect anything? What should I do next? Also thanks for all the help. Means a lot to a novice like me
        '93 Festiva L "Blue Beauty"
        '91 Festiva L (Red, parts car, future project)
        '90 Festiva L (Junker, Red)
        '98 Explorer XLT "Exploder"

Comment

Are the injectors gummed shut? That would be my first guess. I had this happen on a million VWs and one of my festy's since I've done this a million times on VW and once on festy's I'm going to need some help guiding you. Help me out guys On the VW's the injectors seals and lines are independant pull them one at a time lay them on the valve cover try to start it watch for spray and no dribbles. Don't remember how I checked the festy as I remember those injectors are on a rail with upper and lower . Okay now I remember had to pull the top part of the manifold and stck cardboard down the manifold to check for spray.
          Originally posted by jjaynes View Post
          I finally replaced the fuel pump in my '91. Fuel pump runs but now engine won't run. After much tinkering with the throttle cable/idle I got it to idle, but it was rough and died after a few seconds. The flathead screw above the throttle body has been adjusted, I just screwed it all the way in. Looks like it has something to do with fuel/air ratio...? As soon as the gas peddle is depressed the idle dies. I can't understand why it is doing this. Any help is appreciated.
          30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Okay, but how do you clean them if they are gummed up?

Comment

[URL][https://m.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Car-Vehicles-Tool-Universal-Fuel-Injector-Flush-Cleaner-Adapter-DIY-Kit-Set/222347490799?_trkparms=aid%3D777003%26algo%3DDISCL .MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20161005235629%26meid%3D01de 4544929b4aa79c0362366923ca9c%26pid%3D100689%26rk%3 D2%26rkt%3D19%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D322627913329%26i tm%3D222347490799&_trksid=p2385738.c100689.m4649]

1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

That link gives me a headache looking at it.
                Everyone should have the advanced interface turned on in Miscellaneous settings under their general settings.
                Then you can highlight a word and click the link button to bury it like this.
                Last edited by bravekozak; 03-24-2018, 06:00 AM.

Comment

I've never used that a contraption but I just found a YouTube video where you can DIY with a Schrader valve that locks into place. You don't have to buy those plastic pieces for twenty bucks. I apologize for not being a seasoned professional Message Board contributor, usually I read what I need and get back to my cars. I participate in this one because I just resurrected a sitting car and it's got lots of gremlins very similar to OP.

1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

Depending on the injectors and the car the ones I can pull and leave attached I jump the fp relay if needed I make a simple trigger circuit using the car battery a resistor pack and a remote starter switch. trigger the injectors and tap the sides hard on something solid they usually free up keep smacking them and firing them tell the look good AFC cars you wedge the air door open to spray the injectors. I also have a fuelly fuel pump hooked to an lawn tiller gas tank ,full of cleaner and fuel to do the same thing off the car. Also have an air over solvent pressure chamber for the same thing with whatever air pressure I decide, I never use it.Happy to loan it but not necceasary x
                    Originally posted by jjaynes View Post
                    Okay, but how do you clean them if they are gummed up?
                    Last edited by ricko1966; 03-24-2018, 11:52 AM.
                    30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Have you tried hitting it?
                      1989 Carby L: Stock. Slow.
                      1998 Mustang Cobra: ported heads, cams, longtubes, 4.30 gears
                      2016 Focus ST: daily driven go-kart

Comment

You can go to the automotive store and look for a container of fuel injector cleaner and maybe try that before taking things apart. Before buying I'd read teh directions on the container to see if it looks like a feasible solution (sorry about the pun).
                        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Gonna give it a few more hours of work today. Plan is to try to clean them without taking the car apart using carb cleaner directly in-line. If that fails I will take them out and clean them. Before that I have some other electrical checks to make sure they are pulsing. I will update tonight.

Comment

Update: Took out the injectors and hit them with a bit of carb cleaner. Cleaned out the fuel rail too. Injectors still aren't spraying as they should, it's kind of a half spray half drip. The car wants to hit on first starting and after that it won't do anything. I don't quite understand why it hits at first then stops until you turn it off then back on. Any other tips? Should I try the injector cleaning kit? Thanks.

Comment

They need to get cleaned out under pressure. You can rig up injector wires to a battery, take some hose that fits snug on the inlet of injector, crudely seal with tape, and blast the cleaner in--all while cycling a hot wire to make solenoid open and it spray thru. Sometimes the pintle area only is dirty, but the forced way is more thorough. For good measure you can get a new fuel filter and fill it up with cleaner so on first pressurization it will be a strong charge. Probably won't run right a few attempts but it would blow thru for sure.

1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

The fuel filter idea is great, If you rig your own trigger circuit find out what voltage your injectors fire at, I use a resistor block reread post 24 for more info. But you are correct spraying the outside of the injectors and inside the fuel rail is never going to clean inside the injectors,again why I do them as in post 24.
                                Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
                                They need to get cleaned out under pressure. You can rig up injector wires to a battery, take some hose that fits snug on the inlet of injector, crudely seal with tape, and blast the cleaner in--all while cycling a hot wire to make solenoid open and it spray thru. Sometimes the pintle area only is dirty, but the forced way is more thorough. For good measure you can get a new fuel filter and fill it up with cleaner so on first pressurization it will be a strong charge. Probably won't run right a few attempts but it would blow thru for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X