No announcement yet.

Fixed fuel pump and now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody know how many bolts the injectors fire at? Trying to rig up something
    '93 Festiva L "Blue Beauty"
    '91 Festiva L (Red, parts car, future project)
    '90 Festiva L (Junker, Red)
    '98 Explorer XLT "Exploder"

Comment

I recently worked on a BMW K1000 motorcycle that had been sitting for a few years. Along with replacing the frozen electric fuel pump I sent the injectors to Mr.Injection in Idaho for a proper cleaning. He charges $17.50 per injector and provides you with a before and after flow results. Also on my particular application included new O-rings at no additional cost. According to my research the O-ring on the K1100 BMW/Bosch injector is a dealer only item at $8.00 each. The free O-rings were definitely a deal sweetener. The best part was installing them and hitting the starter button and finding the engine ran perfect. I just talked myself into sending my spare set of injectors to him for cleaning.....Good luck!

We service and restore gasoline fuel injectors and gasoline direct fuel injectors to like new performance.
      Last edited by Rick the Quick; 04-02-2018, 10:22 AM.
      '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
      '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
      '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

I just used 12 volts on mine and they still worked afterwards... Mine sat so long that the needles were actually stuck. I took the cap off of them filled them with carb cleaner and tapped the needle on my vice a few times and then applied a 12 volt pulse to make sure they were opening.
        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
        sigpic
        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

That is great information on the o ring hack. Fortunately I live in Southern California where I can find a shop I can drive to on the way to work to drop off injectors. Unfortunately OP is still troubleshooting, hate him to blow money on something that "probably" is the problem. OP needs a local festy buddy who can swap vams and eliminate that one. I have 2 complete festiva rails with injectors on them still, but they've been sitting on shelf for years so they'd introduce a problem if they were blindly installed in a running car.

The wiring PDF might have the voltage and restistance for the injectors if they are not 12v. The important part is the resistance. Using that crude battery cleaning method you are tapping it hot quickly so it shouldn't fry windings and electronics in them.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
          1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
            That is great information on the o ring hack. Fortunately I live in Southern California where I can find a shop I can drive to on the way to work to drop off injectors. Unfortunately OP is still troubleshooting, hate him to blow money on something that "probably" is the problem. OP needs a local festy buddy who can swap vams and eliminate that one. I have 2 complete festiva rails with injectors on them still, but they've been sitting on shelf for years so they'd introduce a problem if they were blindly installed in a running car.

The wiring PDF might have the voltage and restistance for the injectors if they are not 12v. The important part is the resistance. Using that crude battery cleaning method you are tapping it hot quickly so it shouldn't fry windings and electronics in them.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
            Just Checked the PDF
            Voltage Resistance for Injectors are 12-16 ohms
            sigpic
            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

Comment

If i remember right someone used a 9v battery.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I just read further down in the PDF Shop Manual and it says to check for 12v at the connector.
                sigpic

Comment

I think the injectors are the problem. They won't squirt right at all. Just dripping. Im gonna try another rig to get carb cleaner through them. Do you have to have a good bit of pressure for them to open? one injector just clicks when I give it 12 volts.

Comment

I did mine with no pressure. I just filled them with Carb Cleaner and then hand pulsed 12v and watch the liquid leak out. They might clean better under pressure but it is not required for them to open.

If they aren't opening them at all try taking the cap off and tapping the needle against a hard surface to see if you can get it to depress and break free. It worked for me.
                    Last edited by firebush357; 04-02-2018, 01:30 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

“Cap” is that the orange end that squirts?

Comment

Originally posted by jjaynes View Post
                        “Cap” is that the orange end that squirts?
                        Yeah, gently squeeze it with a pair of pliers or a vice and pull it off.
                        sigpic

Comment

Update:
                          Cleaned injectors, they are running clean. Hooked it all back up and: nothing. Pulled the fuel line off and cranked, the fuel is just kinda running out. Not a lot of pressure at all. Should the fuel be really squirting out of the line or is normal for it to kinda easily flow out? Not sure where to go from here; starting to get worried this car may never run.
                          Also:
                          Why is it that there doesn’t seem to be a change in gas flow when the gas is pressed? I’m not clear on how all this works but I thought gas pedal meant more fuel (and air of course)?
                          Last edited by jjaynes; 04-07-2018, 04:01 PM.

Comment

That fuel should be shooting out under high pressure.
                            Either your fuel pump doesn't pump, or it's not wired up correctly, or you have a blockage.

Pull the fuel pump back out and test it.
                            It should sound like the first sound in this mp3.
                            Last edited by bravekozak; 04-07-2018, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Have you been under the car to inspect the fuel line for damage?
                              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Alright so I have an idea that it might be low voltage to the pump. On the voltmeter it registered like a 6 or 7 maybe? I don't remember but I KNOW it wasn't 12V. Why would this be? Note that there is no battery in the car, I run jumpers to the cables from another car to get it to crank. Battery size is always Festiva size or bigger from the running car though.

Comment

Working...
                                X