Wheel Bearing Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Bearing Issues

I have been having lots of trouble with the front drivers wheel in my '93 festiva. I changed the bearing once and a week later the bearing literally disintegrated while I was driving. So I changed it again and now I think it has come out again. My wheel makes a bad whining noise when I go above about 45 mph and only when I turn right. The mechanic I had fix it said he was concerned because there was no retaining clip. Anybody had a problem with wheel bearings or have any tips on how to fix them?
    '93 Festiva L "Blue Beauty"
    '91 Festiva L (Red, parts car, future project)
    '90 Festiva L (Junker, Red)
    '98 Explorer XLT "Exploder"

Did you put the spacers back in the correct hub? What did you torque the hub nuts to?
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Sounds like you need a new "mechanic".
      Rick
      1993 Ford Festiva
      1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
      1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
      2000 Ford E350

Comment

No it is a crush nut no retaining clip needed this guy has no idea what he's doing.

Comment

Use the best bearing you can buy

Comment

Check if correct axle grease was used. Regular chassis grease [out of a grease gun] will "chew up" wheel bearings in a few K miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker View Post
              Use the best bearing you can buy
              What do you recommend?
              Originally posted by rap View Post
              Check if correct axle grease was used. Regular chassis grease [out of a grease gun] will "chew up" wheel bearings in a few K miles.
              What grease do you use/reccomend?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jjaynes View Post
                I have been having lots of trouble with the front drivers wheel in my '93 festiva. I changed the bearing once and a week later the bearing literally disintegrated while I was driving. So I changed it again and now I think it has come out again. My wheel makes a bad whining noise when I go above about 45 mph and only when I turn right. The mechanic I had fix it said he was concerned because there was no retaining clip. Anybody had a problem with wheel bearings or have any tips on how to fix them?
                I would say the shims got mixed up and the preload is wrong. Ask him if he checked the preload with the correct tool and what it was. Best is 5inch pounds.

Comment

You need high temperature bearing grease for wheel bearings.
                  Festiva front wheel bearings are unusual in that they are pressed in and are kept the right distance apart by a special washer called a preload spacer. It's best to ask a mechanic if he's familiar with that kind of bearing before letting him work on the car. The axle nuts are old fashioned as well as they are kept from turning and loosening by deforming the rim at a notch with a hammer and punch.
                  From what you wrote is sounds like you mechanic has not worked on older cars.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

The mechanic is younger and is a friend so he was helping me out for free. The grease we used was normal chassis grease. Is it suggested that I take the wheel apart and re grease it? The spacer was installed but I don’t know what the nut was torqued to. What is the specified torque?
                    '93 Festiva L "Blue Beauty"
                    '91 Festiva L (Red, parts car, future project)
                    '90 Festiva L (Junker, Red)
                    '98 Explorer XLT "Exploder"

Comment

Originally posted by jjaynes View Post
                      The mechanic is younger and is a friend so he was helping me out for free. The grease we used was normal chassis grease. Is it suggested that I take the wheel apart and re grease it? The spacer was installed but I don’t know what the nut was torqued to. What is the specified torque?
                      If your bearing is making noise its likely garbage. Most all of us here prefer the timken brand bearings. They are cheap at www.rockauto.com
                      The spacer likely got missed or swapped sides or was wrong in the first place or the new bearings were a different size. I posted a link to the tool you need to check the preload, did he use one?
                      With having so much trouble you likely need either a different hub or to use the tool and make a proper sized spacer. Basically there are 20 or so different sized spacers and you install one with the new bearing, check the preload with the tool. If its out of range you stick a differrnt spacer in and try again.
                      Download the factory service manual from this link and print off the part about changing front wheel bearings. https://m.facebook.com/groups/187474...50687912764959
                      Then with the grease you need one that says hi temp like this and is rated gc lb for wheel bearings.

Comment

Torque specs run from 115-170 or so. I generally set mine on 125 foot pounds and have had no issues in 100,000 miles of driving my 90 Festiva. It also has the Aspire swap on it, which if I remember correctly, uses the same bearings as the Festiva knuckles.
                        Jerry
                        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by Team Lightning View Post
                          It also has the Aspire swap on it, which if I remember correctly, uses the same bearings as the Festiva knuckles.
                          My memory tells me the rear bearings are the same but the fronts are different. i could be wrong though

Comment

^^ Yes, the rear inners and outers are the same size but on the front they are different sizes.
                            The spacers come in a set of 32. I think they are sold individually at Kia dealership parts departments.
                            You just put the same one back on that you took off. Most problems come from not putting them back on.
                            Look in the trash and see if it's in there. Check the wheel to see if it's on.
                            (They have the number stamped on them. I paint the number on the hub in case they get lost. They are matched to the individual hub.)
                            The torque is 150-180. I have to use a cheater and put my whole body weight on it to get the nuts tight enough.
                            I use ordinary "chassis and bearing" grease which does not break down under higher temp's on both car and bicycle bearings.
                            Recommend getting the Haynes manual. Pays for itself in saved labour charges and avoided mistakes. I read before I wreck.
                            Last edited by WmWatt; 04-25-2018, 06:48 AM.
                            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                              ^^ Yes, the rear inners and outers are the same size but on the front they are different sizes.
                              The spacers come in a set of 32. I think they are sold individually at Kia dealership parts departments.
                              You just put the same one back on that you took off. Most problems come from not putting them back on.
                              Look in the trash and see if it's in there. Check the wheel to see if it's on.
                              (They have the number stamped on them. I paint the number on the hub in case they get lost. They are matched to the individual hub.)
                              The torque is 150-180. I have to use a cheater and put my whole body weight on it to get the nuts tight enough.
                              I use ordinary "chassis and bearing" grease which does not break down under higher temp's on both car and bicycle bearings.
                              Recommend getting the Haynes manual. Pays for itself in saved labour charges and avoided mistakes. I read before I wreck.
                              If you can find a Factory Service Manual on Ebay they provide a good bit more info than the Haynes Manual and aren't too much more money.
                              "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                              sigpic
                              "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                              "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                              "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                              "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                              https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Working...
                              X