No announcement yet.

Wheel Bearing Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a link on here showing DiY for front end work? Wheel bearings, lower control arm, ball joints, axle for 1990 Ford Festiva L? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Leesire View Post
      Is there a link on here showing DiY for front end work? Wheel bearings, lower control arm, ball joints, axle for 1990 Ford Festiva L? Thanks
      There is a free PDF of a factory service manual available on the FB group. I can link it externally for you when I get home if you don't have FB
      Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
      Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
      Feel free to PM me anytime!
      Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
      Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

As I recall rear inners are a set a4 bearing rear outters are a set a1 front inner and outter are both a set a18. Tapered roller bearings made to industry standards have insane strict tolerance standards. If you buy good bearings and use proper grease you will not have a problem using an original spacer. IMHO the spacers are to compensate for tolerances on the knuckles themselves.Anyone who has actually used the rotunda tool please chip in here why couldn't your average guy get by using three sockets two nuts and washers and a piece of all thread.1 nut washer socket to put pressure on the inner brg,1 socket to center the spacer 1 nut washer socket to put pressure on the outer brg. Tighten the whole mess up measure rotational resistance,done.
        30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Originally posted by Leesire View Post
          This is for the wheel bearings using hand tools at home without checking spacers https://m.facebook.com/groups/187474...50871324484959
          The rest is all explained real well in the haynes manual which is cheap and valuable to have.
          Originally posted by w4rkry View Post
          There is a free PDF of a factory service manual available on the FB group. I can link it externally for you when I get home if you don't have FB
          I linked it here already.
          Originally posted by ricko1966 View Post
          As I recall rear inners are a set a4 bearing rear outters are a set a1 front inner and outter are both a set a18. Tapered roller bearings made to industry standards have insane strict tolerance standards. If you buy good bearings and use proper grease you will not have a problem using an original spacer. IMHO the spacers are to compensate for tolerances on the knuckles themselves.Anyone who has actually used the rotunda tool please chip in here why couldn't your average guy get by using three sockets two nuts and washers and a piece of all thread.1 nut washer socket to put pressure on the inner brg,1 socket to center the spacer 1 nut washer socket to put pressure on the outer brg. Tighten the whole mess up measure rotational resistance,done.
          I have asked charlie. He had a good explanation which i cant remember real well now. But when reusing spacers oj new bearings the preload can be out of spec. The specs are also like 2-15in pounds or something and he sands/grinds his down to 5in pounds for best life for racing

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
          Last edited by w4rkry; 04-25-2018, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Here's a guide for the front wheel bearings.

Comment

After looking at that I have no doubt I could rig up a proper procedure for checking using sockets and all thread, FWIW I remove my brgs and hubs leaving the steering knuckle on the car and pull everything back together with all thread, Works like a champ.Fast and easy.
              Originally posted by william View Post
              https://www.justanswer.com/ford/0yct...-drivable.html

Here's a guide for the front wheel bearings.
              30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Originally posted by ricko1966 View Post
                After looking at that I have no doubt I could rig up a proper procedure for checking using sockets and all thread, FWIW I remove my brgs and hubs leaving the steering knuckle on the car and pull everything back together with all thread, Works like a champ.Fast and easy.
                The tool will be available in the festiva store soon i believe for a good price. Would likely need grade 8 or 10 threaded rod to handle the 150ft pounds on the smaller diameter rod.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Man, glad I found this, I just redid my passenger front bearings and am getting noise from my drivers side bearings now. I already used the spacer that was in there and used regular bearing grease from O'reilly's, I hope it holds together. I will have to pull this back up when I get home this evening and pull up all the links because I am at work.

Comment

Might I just say...........damn those Festiva front wheel bearings !!

Comment

People have posted lots of info on front wheel bearing replacement over the years. People could try the search box at the top right corner of the screen. There have been photos and videos.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

http://festivacentral.blogspot.com/2...acement_7.html

This Guide got me through my first one and now that I have done a few they are pretty easy.
                        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                        sigpic
                        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

thread Festiva front bearings starting about post #20 9-11-2017 . how I do them updates as you hit newer posts

Comment

Working...
                          X