TRANS OIL.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by denguy View Post
    I drained out some trans oil, a little at a time, and the rear hatch oil spattering stopped.

Where is the ''vent'' on the stick tranny?
    That's what I did. Always looked like it was a shaft seal, I think because the fluid just dribbled down into the shaft seal area.

Comment

I put in some expensive Penzoil syncromesh, when I hadn't yet realized my real issue was the shifter slowly falling through the floor.

It really smoothed it out otherwise, but I guess I already had a leak- I'd never checked the level and there was only a half quart of oil in there instead of 2 1/2 or something- 96 Aspire

aspire cat.jpg

Anyway, I then wemt the other way and got the heaviest gear oil I could find at Wally world- 95/145 SAE or something, just to see if it wouldn't leak then- ended up putting in a small dose of copper block seal too, and the leak was hardly there last time I checked.

Shifting is still good- I'm not after speed just normal driving and I'm kinda pokey. So it really has a range I think- I'd probably go with fairly heavy gear oil if everything else were normal 75 SAE or something, but I think it's good to change it every few years. check the level now every few months.

Comment

Working...
      X