help with stuck automatic seat belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with stuck automatic seat belt

Hi, I am pretty new to working on my car. I have a 1990 festiva with a manual transmission. It came with automatic seatbelts which worked at the time. However bit by bit the drivers side belt wouldn't go back. it wold go back if you re-opened the door and closed it very firmly. then a week or so into that it stopped completely and wouldn't go up. Then a day later on my way to work I hit a pot hole and it went back. problem fixed., but it has stopped working again. Any how I picked up a haynes manual today to get some info wiring diagrams and all, but suprise suprise once I got the shrink wrap off the manual there wasn;t any info on the seatbelts at all.
    could anyone tell me the best starting point to fix the problem? I tried searching here on the forum, but had trouble understanding the info. I am kind of thinkoing that maybe there is a grounding issue, cause a couple of times I have felt a slight shock when I touch a metal part on the door, not much more than static feeling, but maybe. any how where shoudl I start? I'l get the door panel off tomorrow morning and see if I can see anything. any ideas of where to go from there will be greatly apreciated.

chris

ya first thing would be to pull the door panel off and check the connections at the motor, next check ur fuse just to make sure lol, otherwise trace ur wires to where they go and check the whole shebang, also check ur door open switch.
    2007 Ford Taurus 23-25MPG
    1976 Chevy Silverado (my toy)
    1951 Ford Deluxe, being rebuilt

Have an old car truck or tractor? Go here.
    http://www.aintperfect.com/

Comment

should I just look for obviously loose connections, or frayed wires? I think the fuse is fine unless both belts have separate fuses. the pass. side belt works like a charm. how should I go about checking the door open switch assuming I don't see anything blatantly messed up?
      chris

Comment

does it chime with door open and key in switch? i dunno if festis have this, or does ur domelight come on
        2007 Ford Taurus 23-25MPG
        1976 Chevy Silverado (my toy)
        1951 Ford Deluxe, being rebuilt

Have an old car truck or tractor? Go here.
        http://www.aintperfect.com/

Comment

Malfunctioning automatic seat belts

I have a similar problem -- drivers side only -- on one of my 93s. The shoulder belt always stays in the aft position, never moves forward. The passenger side works perfectly.

I don't even know where the motor is located to check connections ... is it aft of the door? Does it trigger off the same "door is closed" switch that runs the overhead light? Through the computer or what?
          88L black, dailydriver
          88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
          4 88/89 disassembled
          91L green
          91GL aqua pwrsteer
          92GL red a/c reardmg
          3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
          1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

The seat belt-sensor and the "light switch" are different.

My drivers side also does this but the pass side usually works fine, however today my pass side decided not to go fwrd.

on the drivers side sometimes you open the door and are just sitting there and it goes halfway fwrd, then back some, then fwrd again.... other times it just takes 2-3min w/ the door open and it goes. i've been watching for a patter but its just sorta random, temperature/etc doesn't seem to affect it. i'm just too lazy right now to go find the motor and figure out whats loose :roll:
            ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
            91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
            1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
            2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Does the little black box under the drivers seat, have anything to do with it????

Comment

under-seat black box

I'll bet it does have something to do with the belts, since I think that box only exists on cars with automatic belts.
                88L black, dailydriver
                88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                4 88/89 disassembled
                91L green
                91GL aqua pwrsteer
                92GL red a/c reardmg
                3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Working...
                X