Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Spindle Nut Issue on 88 Festiva

Hello,

I had to change the Left Rear wheel cylinder on my 88 Festiva. I got that taken care of, but the spindle nut is pretty torn up, so I want to replace it. I really wish this had a castle but and cotter key instead of the stupid beat up the spindle nut system.

I got a new nut from Auto Zone and it wouldn’t thread on. Assuming they gave me the wrong part, I got one from O’Reilly and it’s doing the same thing. The old nut goes right on, and the threads don’t seem messed up, so it seems that the threads of the replacements aren’t correct. Has anyone else experienced this??

I took the passenger side off to check and see if the nuts I got were reverse thread, and they won’t go on there either, so that’s not the issue. Side Note: Why is the passenger side threaded reversed?! As I’ve always understood that, the whole point is for the rotation of the assembly to encourage the nut to tighten rather than loosen. If one was going to be LH threads, shouldn’t it be the driver’s side??
    1990 Festiva - Throttle Body/Manual Transmission
    Bought in 2003 with 65k, now 219k

1988 Festiva - Carb/Manual Transmission
    Bought in 2015 with 150k

I've often wondered as well why it's the passenger side with reverse thread!
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

It's the exact opposite in the VW.

Posted August 27, 2016

Actually, it does't have to do with acceleration forces. Angular acceleration, or rotational acceleration is not what it is about. Constant velocity, cruising at constant speed could cause a nut to unscrew itself, if it was loose and well lubed. A loose lubed nut on the left side would theoretically tighten itself while driving at constant speed only if it was left hand thread. If right handed on the left side it would come off.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 10-27-2018, 02:39 PM.

Comment

To have your wants saw off the hammer part of the nut reinstall adjust nut as needed go back to the store pickup the castle covers with cotter pin. set the cover over the nut so there is an opening over the flat on the spindle mark it pick up your drill with an 1/8 bit drill hole install cotter pin. Oh yeah poke the spindle thru a plastic bag to keep the drill shavings out of your new bearing.
        newport tn
        88 262,000 4spd hit in rear
        91 224,000 5spd daily driver since 2000
        91 81,000 5spd second owner
        90 204,000 5spd
        93 automatic rolled 25,000

Comment

So the Festiva has it backwards, correct? Both rear wheels are prone to departing the vehicle when least expected.
          88L black, dailydriver
          88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
          4 88/89 disassembled
          91L green
          91GL aqua pwrsteer
          92GL red a/c reardmg
          3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
          1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

We were just discussing this on a different thread last week.Does anyone know what castle covers will work. I'll buy some tomorrow!l

Originally posted by yblock View Post
            To have your wants saw off the hammer part of the nut reinstall adjust nut as needed go back to the store pickup the castle covers with cotter pin. set the cover over the nut so there is an opening over the flat on the spindle mark it pick up your drill with an 1/8 bit drill hole install cotter pin. Oh yeah poke the spindle thru a plastic bag to keep the drill shavings out of your new bearing.
            30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
              So the Festiva has it backwards, correct? Both rear wheels are prone to departing the vehicle when least expected.
              The VW is wrong. The Festiva is correct. Based on the moment of inertia, a loose nut would tend to reisst turning when the axle turns. So, both nuts would tighten in the proper direction.
              Last edited by bravekozak; 10-28-2018, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Brave means when the wheel turns and is correct. The left hand thread on a bicycle housing which holds the crankshaft in (called the fixed bearing cup) is reverse thread for the same reason.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                  The VW is wrong. The Festiva is correct. Based on the moment of inertia, a loose nut would tend to reisst turning when the axle turns. So, both nuts would tighten in the proper direction.
                  The axle doesn't turn. It's the wheel that does. Based on the moment of inertia theory is why Mopar used left hand lug nuts on pre '75 vehicles and GM used left hand lug nuts on a lot of pre '65? vehicles. I noticed that they dropped that practice over 40 years ago. Have you seen any vehicles made in the last 40 years that were prone to losing lug nuts? I think VW got it right in the sense that a rotating wheel will want to turn the bearing and nut in the same direction. This theory is well proven and used extensively in your manual transmission : synchro rings.
                  I will be hitting the U-Pull It today and will keep an eye out for castle rings. If I find any that fit our cars I will post the information.
                  '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                  '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                  '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
                    I'm with you on this one. Maybe North Korea was involved on this design.
                    '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                    '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                    '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

I read that both wheels fell off a Suzuki race car because of this, and the Japanese have been using reverse thread since then.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                        I read that both wheels fell off a Suzuki race car because of this, and the Japanese have been using reverse thread since then.
                        We better re-drill our hubs and drums so we don't lose our wheels. Then again do you believe everything you read? I imagine there is no substitute for tightening fasetners to the correct torque. :fofd:

Comment

So has anyone had any issues finding replacement spindle nuts? Where have you gotten the correct ones?
                          1990 Festiva - Throttle Body/Manual Transmission
                          Bought in 2003 with 65k, now 219k

1988 Festiva - Carb/Manual Transmission
                          Bought in 2015 with 150k

Comment

Ok, this is dumb, lol. There is NO REASON for the reverse thread. The washer that the nut tightens against goes into the groove on the spindle and cannot turn. There is nothing making that nut want to turn as far as the direction the bearing is spinning goes. Stake nuts work fine, just like they do on the front axle. Problem is no one wants to buy new ones every time like your supposed to and they get 'staked out' as i call it. I love the castle nut and cotter pin system.
                            As far as new nuts not threading on i had the same issue. I bought new ones from rockauto. I had messed up the threads on one spindle and ordered a die. Ran the die over each spindle (both spindles on my car are the reverse thread) and they threaded on. I think the threads get messed up from removing the nuts without fully unstaking the nut and it messes the threads up but the old nut keeps working but a new one wont.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Have to admit to confusing myself. The left rear wheel rotates to the right so the nut should be "righty tighty" or normal to resist turning off. That would mean it's the right rear or driver's side which should be reverse thread. I'm going to have to stop thinking about this now.
                              Last edited by WmWatt; 10-28-2018, 05:54 PM.
                              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                              X