Figure this starter problem out, I cant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figure this starter problem out, I cant

89 festiva fuel injected. One morning tried to start. The solenoid goes clickity clickity but wont turn the starter. My first thought was bad starter. Replaced the starter with solenoid. Started up worked good then the next day it happened again. This has been an ongoing prob for about a month now. It is an intermittent problem, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't. I then thought perhaps there was a short in the wire going from the ignition switch to the starter. I completely bypassed the wire and thought I had it figured out then it happens again. Next I replaced the battery cables. Then I thought perhaps the ignition switch was bad so I bypassed it temporarily with no difference. Then I thought perhaps the clutch switch might be the problem. I bypassed it, no change.
    I have also replaced the battery.
    Any guesses would be appreciated.

Check all your ground wires, could be a loose ground.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

Well I did think of that too but only visually inspected them. I guess it would not hurt to make sure they are making good good connection.

Comment

Thanks for the tip horseplay. I got creative and ran two jumpers, one from the positive of the battery to the solenoid connection and one from the battery ground and touched it to the casing of the starter, and boom she started right up. I cleaned up my ground connections and problem solved.

Comment

Working...
        X