This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by my03devilz View Post
    Can anyone help me out with a question that will probably sound dumb? My husband ran hours away to get a dual stage mazda thermostat but he has a question, and I'm hoping I get it right.... does the hole with the little butterfly thing go at the top? I told him I read that the small valve goes at the top... but he wants me to double check... Hope I worded that right, and thanks for your help!! He also bought some brake pads, and some little nut things that he had to run all over for.... so of course I haven't heard the end of how he ran all day just to get the parts for this car he absolutely hates to work on because everytime he does something to it something else breaks on it....
    Originally posted by wirebrain View Post

Got a Question....on the new Thermostat should the small valve go towards the top...or doesn't it matter?
    Originally posted by FB71 View Post
    yes, to the top, and yes, it does matter.
    Jim has spoken, any other questions?

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

• Originally posted by batstiva View Post
      Jim has spoken, any other questions?
      Thanks--and actually yes, I do have another question, lol-- he's asking if the jiggle pin is considered the small valve? So sorry! I don't know anything on these, and the one that's in now is the stant so it's totally different looking..... He said there are 3 things on the top of this, it goes in at a slant, he wants to make sure which one should be at the 12 o'clock position...
      Last edited by my03devilz; 11-12-2011, 08:18 AM. Reason: added to it

Comment

• The "jiggle pin" goes at the top.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by lessersivad View Post
          The "jiggle pin" goes at the top.

Hope this helps.
          Thanks! That does help.... he thought that was right... and do you know if the radiator capacity is 2 gallons? I can't find that on the forum anywhere...

Comment

Thanks! That does help.... he thought that was right... and do you know if the radiator capacity is 2 gallons? I can't find that on the forum anywhere...
            Per the owner's manual for my 90L, the coolant system capacity (Rad + Reservior) is 5.3 Quarts, or 5.0 Liters. Hope this helps. Unable (so far) to find specific capacity for just the radiator.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

• Originally posted by batstiva View Post
              Per the owner's manual for my 90L, the coolant system capacity (Rad + Reservior) is 5.3 Quarts, or 5.0 Liters. Hope this helps. Unable (so far) to find specific capacity for just the radiator.
              I googled and searched, and couldn't find it... but he figured it out. So.... today my little guy got new rear brakes (turns out didn't need them, the ebrake was doing all the squealing cuz it was stuck), the new dual thermostat (can't wait to see how warm it gets!!) and a flush--- hubby was afraid to try the cascase thing so he bought other stuff. And sniff sniff, hubby noticed while he was flushing that there is an oil leak .... so of course he's on the kick again where the car is still going He goes in this spurts, but so far I keep winning

Comment

• www.mediafire.com/?b6ev0ssxaebjl8y

Click on the link and you will have the shop manual for a 1991 Festiva! I think it is somewhere on FF.com, but I found it on google (where else, lol):p

Ps. The "link" above will simply ask you if you want to open/save the pdf (mine shows up on the bottom of the screen).

Pss. Page 89 has the Coolant Capacity
                Last edited by Darlo; 11-12-2011, 11:28 PM.

Comment

• Part numbers

Just wanted to say I found the thermostat at autozone part # 41492 for $12.99 and at Napa part # ATM 1541303 for $22.99 and at Oreilly part # 41492 for $12.99

All are the dual stage thermostats
                  The bloody tampon - 89 Festiva L 5 spd

Comment

• nice first post. I just had to look up 41492 to see!! lol

welcome!! and thank you
                    Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

• My engine is from a 95 aspire.. Same pn work?

None of my auto zones locally have the 41492 in stock..
                      Last edited by Christ; 11-20-2011, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• likely. I would check rockauto and see what they've got on there or check the other sites for the aspire part numbers, etc
                        Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

I had my 91 to the ford dealer a few years ago... they replaced the thermostat, still no heat. Defroster works, takes a bit but it eventually gets there. I was then told by the Ford dealer that there is no warm heat that comes from the vent, it was made that way, that's just a fan only with cool air. I called Ford themselves, and they confirmed it, that it doesn't have heat???? Anyone else hear this? I am having my husband take the thermostat out and going to try a Mazda one cuz I'm getting older, and getting colder, lol.... I can't go another winter without a warm car. I also recall a thread once where you can put insolation in, so after work, going to dig that one up!!

ford was correct, My car came withthe owners manual and it states also that you can not control the temp of the air from the dash vents only the floor and defrost. That messed me up before i read it because Mine was at normal temps and blowing cold air out of the vents..I was fixing to be depressed..lol

Comment

• I ordered mine on eBay since I had some spare eBay bucks laying around. It's new, matches the Mazda part # 8AK1-15-171 -9U (does not include gasket) for $26.90 shipped.

Here's the link to the item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1763wt_1163

Comment

• I carefully flushed the cooling system on one of my Festys and installed the fabled Mazda 2-stage thermostat this fall. It has been -20C a couple of times already and I have not noticed any distinct improvement in cabin heat over that of my other identical Festy which just has a cheapy 192 degree thermostat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bert View Post
                                I carefully flushed the cooling system on one of my Festys and installed the fabled Mazda 2-stage thermostat this fall. It has been -20C a couple of times already and I have not noticed any distinct improvement in cabin heat over that of my other identical Festy which just has a cheapy 192 degree thermostat.
                                And you wont, nor should you.........lol.

If you look at the packages (or the specs online) you will notice that they are quite similar, and any differences would not (normally) be noticeable.

Comment

Working...
                                X