Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

use a little permatex but also make sure the bolts go in NICELY before you put the housing back on. I clean off, then use grease on the bolts, because they're usually corroded when they come out. No runs, no drips, no errors.
    97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
    CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
    Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

so is the -A part # mazda's? number?
      you want to blend in?, drive a honda
      92l festy car, original owner.
      2008 xls mitsubishi outlander
      1987 nissan diesel truck

Comment

Just spoke top Mazda dealer and I wanted to run this by everyone. The part number they gave me is 8AK1-15-171-9U FOR A 93 Miata. Just wanted to make sure that this is the suitable replacement for the Ford Thermostat. I am newbie to the Festiva so please forigve my ignorance but I wanted to make absolutely sure that the Mazda 1.6 thermo is the same as the 1.3L Mazda Festy Engine.

- Mike

Comment

should be fine. Or just get one for a festiva.

Comment

OMG, I love gear wrenches. Last time it took over an hour, this time...20 minutes.
            Are these what you're talking about?
            Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Is it because the stat is difficult to remove?
            gracias....

Comment

I think these Nippons are two stage G4000-32147
              got the link: http://www.autobarnparts.com/jumpCat...991&siteType=1
              it runs so sweet
              91 L 5spd

Comment

These are pics of the (1.) OEM Nippon and the (2.) gates single stage

(1) http://images.autopartsworld.com/live/G400032147NTC.JPG

(2) http://images.autopartsworld.com/liv...0241537GAT.JPG
                it runs so sweet
                91 L 5spd

Comment

I have found that it's not necessary the brand of thermostat but where you buy it. Your best luck is the dealer, NAPA or CarQuest. T'stats have two related temps, cracking (start to open) and full open. Years ago service manuals instructed the tech to put the t'stat into a heated pot of water with a thermometer and and note both the cracking temp and full open temp to determine if the t'stat was functioning properly. Today, the t'stat is regularly changed, no test required. Back to where you buy a t'stat....At the dealer, NAPA or carquest the will sell you a t'stat based off cracking temp.....at a national retailer (Autozone) they will sell you a t'stat that will be full open at the same specified temp. Its not that Stant brand are bad, at the national retailers their listings are wrong. Two stage t'stat's....I don't know about that...t'stats aren't that complicated.....they open....they close.
                  Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                  The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Here are some photos of the OEM thermostat for an '88 B6 which uses the same as the Festiva's B3. I picked this one up from a local Mazda dealer for about $25.00CD. I bought this quite a while ago and forgot to record the part number ops:

Hope that answers some questions.

The aftermarket t-stats don't have the second valve on them.
                    Ian
                    Calgary AB, Canada
                    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Thanks Ian , one day I will look at mine to see what I have lurking in my housing .
                      ------------------------------------------------
                      The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                      Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                      HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                      Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                      Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                      Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                      Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                      90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                      It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

I work at mazda. Ill get the part number

-Scott
                        Aqua 93 L
                        Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
                        White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

I found it I was looking through my Festiva file and found the part number for the thermostat. It's F201-15-171A
                          Ian
                          Calgary AB, Canada
                          93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                          59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

my temp gauge never makes it off the bottom now that its cold so i picked one up this morning.
                            I went to mazda because im still mad at ford for ploughing my back 40 for them shifter bushings.

$25... not too bad for a dealership. ill let you guys know how much it helps
                            89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                            RIP 90LX

Comment

I have never used anything but the cheap stant replacements. However, around here, and in FL, autozone and advanced auto both list two different temp tstats by stant. The 185 degree one will bury your needle under the c line FOREVER! The 195 degree worked fine both in summer heat in Daytona Beach, and toasty warm in VA for Xmas vacation. Be sure to try the 195 degree, it is only like $5.00
                              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

My cousin is a wrench turner at Nissan and he gave me a little tip on holding the stat in place .
                                PVC pipe glue or a small amount of silicone the night befor is the way to go .
                                I too busted the housing only to find the stat dropped down a bit.
                                I also find a wobble head extension is just right for the angle you need to get the socket on the bolt.

shayne

Comment

Working...
                                X