Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get crank bolt loosened/Can't get access to it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get crank bolt loosened/Can't get access to it!

I am so screwed!

I can't get the crank bolt loosened! Last time I changed a timing belt I lowered the engine enough that I was able to get my impact wrench and a 21mm socket on it. This time it is still about 2 inches too high. What the hell? I pulled off the engine mount in the front but it just won't drop enough.
    I've got a jack under the oil pan, but I get to the bottom of where the engine will travel and there is no weight on the jack. I'm about to the point where I'm going to be pulling other motor mounts so I can get this crank bolt out where I can access it.

I linked two combo wrenches together but the bolt won't budge. You can imagine how fun this is with having to work outside in 15 degree weather.

Do you have any suggestions? I can't figure out why the engine won't lower any further. Possible clue: This Festiva is AT, the last time I did the job the Festiva was a MT.

Thanks for your help.

Yours in Festivadom,
    Bruce Irvine

I know on mine I had to take the plastic splash guard off inside the fender well and I had plenty of room... I bet you are right though about it not lowering as much cause its an auto, I've never owned an auto
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Your exhaust system is holding the engine up.
      Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
      99 Dodge Caravan SE
      95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
      94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
      78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
      78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
      03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
      95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
      95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
      95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

Use a box end wrench and a big cheater pipe. Have a buddy put the car in fourth gear with the clutch out and holding the brakes tight. The wrench size is one of those sizes where metric equals standard. You can do it from the top w/o undoing the engine mounts. Its a different story if you have a/c. I forget but do you have to get the crank bolt off to change the timing belt? Sure would have been nice if they had designed an access hole or notch for this instance!
        sigpic
        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

freshtiva your way sounds fine, but i think he has a impact wrench making this much easyer,took me about 20min total to replace crank seal.

99 Dodge Caravan SE
          95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
          95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

Crank Bolt

Well. I am about to use a nibbler to chew a hatch through the side of the fender liner so I can get access to the crank bolt with an impact wrench. I actually bent my 21mm combo wrench (it didn't break) trying to turn this sucker. I put a pipe on my wrench. I'm using this "innovative products of america" crank stopper that threads through the spark plug hole and pushes on the top of the piston as it heads towards TDC. I'm beginning to wonder if all the torque I'm pulling on the crank is hurting the piston.

1. I laid off it for 2 nights but soaked it with "Kroil" each night and tapped on it with a 4oz hammer.

Since that wasn't enough...

2. I heated it until the timing belt burned off and then cooled it with ice cube(s).

That wasn't enough.

Comment

Crank Bolt

blank

Comment

Originally posted by elcamino1
                freshtiva your way sounds fine, but i think he has a impact wrench making this much easyer,

Doesnt sound like it.
                sigpic

Comment

bsirvine i can't figure what you're doing wrong, you say your engine won't drop down enough to use a impact i have two festivas 1 stick 1 auto replaced both crankshaft seals,removed three nuts on top motor mount, unhooked rubber mounts by shifter holding exhaust up lowered engine down with jack,had enough clearance to spin bolt off with
                  impact, i used air impact for 1,electric impact for the other,both came off easy

99 Dodge Caravan SE
                  95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
                  95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

You said you took the passenger side engine mount loose, but from where? The 3 nuts that hold it to the engine or the 1 bolt that hold it to the frame?
                    You need to take the 3 nuts off on the engine end of the bracket, then swing the bracket up out of the way so the engine will drop down.
                    If you don't swing it up out of the way it will bind and not let the engine drop down.
                    I have never had to take the shifter or the exhaust loose to change the timing belt.
                    ~Jeff
                    1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
                    1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
                    2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

bsirvine wrote: can't get crank bolt loosened/can't get access to it

1: Looking down at the three nuts holding mount to plate bolted to the side of engine,removing them motor drops down,binding not a problem
                      2: I unhooked the two rubber donuts so the engine would drop down that extra inch or so to be able to use air impact.
                      3: I was addressing gaining access to crank bolt not changing belt.

99 Dodge Caravan SE
                      95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
                      95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

Is NIIICE. I LIIIIKE. High Five!

The crank bolt is off. Time for a malt and hops beverage.

Comment

Did you nibble out some of the inner fender ? Put some stuff on in when you put in back in to keep it from backing off on you.
                          sigpic

Comment

NIIICE. I Liiike! You Liiike! High Five! (Bad Crank Bolt)

Well,

I removed the muffler hangers front and middle (cut the donuts in a rage). The engine dropped not a mote.

I finally got a hacksaw and cut 2 slots out of the inner fender. I bent the area out between the 2 slots. I finally got the 21mm 6 pointer on it. I ran 140 psi and put the gun on "5." Trigger all the way down. "Diggge-Diggge-Diggge-Diggge" Nothing. This is most unexpected. Unhappy.

I have a 36 inch breaker bar. I put a 8 foot steel fence post over it and my brother and I (total 350 lbs) pushed it down with all our weight. Snap! I'm thinking...."F**k! There goes my breaker bar (Harbor Freight)!" Turns out the crank bolt has moved instead. Time for a brew.

Considerably later, I remove the bolt and take a look at it. Now I see why "Kroil" and "PB Blaster" had no effect. The bolt is about 3 inches long and the threads are recessed into the crank about 2 inches! None of the penetrant even reached the threads! Same with the heat!

Now I just have to get the lower timing sprocket off, but that is a story for another day. (tomorrow) If everything goes well, I won't even write about it. (That is a promise).

Yours in Festivadom,
                            bsirvine

Comment

Yeah an 8 foot steel fence post comes in handy sometimes. :lol: I cursed the last one I removed and it didnt come off that hard.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X