89 festiva no power, stumbles during accel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 festiva no power, stumbles during accel

I have an 89 festiva Carburated model had several problems trying to get the car on the road (it sat for about a year). I did all the normal stuff: plugs, wires, cap and button, fuel filter, ignition coil (it died during testing), and set timing. The car idled fine but every time you moved the throttle, it died like it wasn't getting gasoline. I figured it was a carb problem and this was later suggested by a few other people. I have disassembled the carb but it was not very dirty ( I have taken a few other carbs apart that were much, much worse) none of the passages seemed to be blocked and I am wondering if this may not have been the problem.

My real question is that I took out the mixture adjustment screw (middle of the back of the carb) I know that I was supposed to measure the number of turns to seated position and record but I did not. I actually thought the screw was some type of vacuum cover (looked like the large vacuum port on the rear of most domestic carbs) anyway, I was wondering if anyone had a good approximate setting for the mixture screw (would give me somewhere to start).

also if anyone has suggestions/comments on other sources for the problem described, please let me know

thank you in advance for any help

what bout your air filter? not enough oxygen wil make it die just as fast as no fuel.

1.3Liter 4 cylinder FI , OHC, FWD, 3DR, 4ST, Stud. Tires

Comment

Screw all the way in then back it out two and a half turns you won't be far off.
      Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
      99 Dodge Caravan SE
      95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
      94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
      78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
      78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
      03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
      95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
      95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
      95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

ok, appreciate the screw setting, and yes I changed the air filter

thank you for your help

Comment

Any luck?
          Slacker Sam

Comment

Re: 89 festiva no power, stumbles during accel

Originally posted by fwzorren
            I have an 89 festiva Carburated model had several problems trying to get the car on the road (it sat for about a year). I did all the normal stuff: plugs, wires, cap and button, fuel filter, ignition coil (it died during testing), and set timing. The car idled fine but every time you moved the throttle, it died like it wasn't getting gasoline.
            Now I haven't played much with carbed 1.3L, but I'd check accelerator
            pump and power valve circuit for proper operation.

1st, float level ok? a low level will screw up everything else,
            as it can only supply what its using at idle.

2nd, take fuel line off the filter, and run a hose to a can.
            crank motor for a couple seconds. Should be plenty of fuel.

Next, pulsing the pedal should keep the pump spraying extra gas in,
            does it rev up better? If not, check the setup. should get a spray
            when throttle is opened, a good squirt. This passage can gum up
            enough to block flow. Did you soak the carb body in cleaner, or
            just use the spraycan to blow the crud off in rebuilding?

if the AP does keep RPM with tapping the pedal, I'd bet the power valve isn't working, this supplies extra gas as load increases. even with the idle mixture way off, that idle circuit doesn't really effect mid rpm fuel delivery, while powervalve does there and extra fuel as load changes

Comment

Hello! Sorry for my bad english.
              I have the same problem a few days ago. I look for the carb and it was normal, everything was fine and the car have gas. Some guy check the battery and he told me that have to change it. I change it but that day, when i was go home, it happend again. Was the same problem with the same characteristics, a guy help me and we find out that the gas meter was bad.
              But i dont think that could be the problem... somebody tell me that change air filter, gas filter, high wires.... and i dont now what to do. I have affraid that it happend again.
              Ádministrador de servicios de telecomunicaciones

Comment

like moosehead said check if the accelator pump. while looking into the carb move the throttle and you should see a stream of gas being shot into the carb. buy one of those big cans of carb cleaner with a basket in it and let it soak and move the basket up and down to get some agitation. i got away from soaking small engine carbs in the basket but going back too it because i found out just spraying the carb with gumout was not doing the trick..just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                X