No announcement yet.

Parking brake cable repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually I think I will be ok now, as I was able to fix the cable myself for $6.00! and some help from lordco.....works ok, but I still need to figure out how to adjust the e-brake cable......any help there?

Comment

2 cables

I have two parking brake cables (Festiva and Aspire) from New Mexico that need swaging.
      They are rust free and in mint condition. But useless.
      I asked Inline Tube if they would swage a couple of ends for me since they make custom e-brake cables.
      They said no. I would have to buy their cable because of safety issues.

Does anyone know who else hyrauliically swages large stops ?

Comment

Nicopress

Green Sky Adventures, who lengthed the stock Ford KB laser throttle cable by 1/2" for me (same fittings as a Festiva, including firewall connector) thinks he can swage the parking brake cable stops for me, using a standard Nicopress sleeve. I will send them down to Jerry in Florida and let you know.
        I will also give him a spare piece of cable to practice with.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 08-30-2010, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Go to your local sailing marina. Sailboat masts are held up by SS cable. DIY sailors cut and swage their own cable.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
            Go to your local sailing marina. Sailboat masts are held up by SS cable. DIY sailors cut and swage their own cable.
            Great tip!
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Perhaps a bit pricier, but "straight on" (no looping back) swagings can be done at most aircraft maintenance shops of any size, even at many of the smaller of the 10,000+ airports in the U.S. Attached is a photo of a rudder end fitting and another of some intermediate length/tension-adjusting fittings called "turnbarrels." People trust their lives to this kind of stuff every day, which is what you may have to do if your regular brakes should ever fail.

Note: Aircraft stuff is English units, not metric. If you use any "end" fittings that are secured by bolts, pick parts with good-fitting sizes. "Structural" parts start at 3/16", which I think is the same diameter as #10.
              Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 08-30-2010, 09:32 PM.
              88L black, dailydriver
              88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
              4 88/89 disassembled
              91L green
              91GL aqua pwrsteer
              92GL red a/c reardmg
              3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
              1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
                Perhaps a bit pricier, but "straight on" (no looping back) swagings can be done at most aircraft maintenance shops of any size, even at many of the smaller of the 10,000+ airports in the U.S. Attached is a photo of a rudder end fitting and another of some intermediate length/tension-adjusting fittings called "turnbarrels." People trust their lives to this kind of stuff every day, which is what you may have to do if your regular brakes should ever fail.

Note: Aircraft stuff is English units, not metric. If you use any "end" fittings that are secured by bolts, pick parts with good-fitting sizes. "Structural" parts start at 3/16", which I think is the same diameter as #10.
                Friend I have is going to a local aircraft maintenance shop tomorrow, Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X