Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing the clutch

hi everybody,

i got a 91 festiva, 5spd. I was just wondering how hard it is to change the clutch on it if i had too. I haven't really looked at it yet, but do i need to take out the engine to change it? And also, am i gonna need some wierd tools that are hard to get?....sorry if i sound ignorant, but my festy has slowly been teaching me auto mechanics over the past year so i'm not that expereinced with this stuff just yet.....any help would be appreciated...thanks

I pulled the engine to do mine....left the tranny in. Was not very hard at all and it let me clean the engine bay and such while the engine was out.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I've done it 5 or 6 times (both pulling the motor/tranny or just dropping the tranny). Dropping the tranny is by far
      easier. Just pull the axles, disconnect the linkage, and drop the subframe (4 bolts). Be sure to support the engine
      (I use a jack with a piece of wood under the oil pan) Take out the starter and unbolt the tranny. The hardest part
      is lifting the tranny back on and aligning the spindle. the easiest part is you can do it by yourself. I did it with a pair
      of jackstands in my yard. Its a 5-6 hour job out and in and I smoke alot of cigarettes. Also if you take the flywheel
      off, change the rear main seal (It never hurts to think ahead) and make sure to use Gasket maker on the flywheel
      bolts when reinstalling (they will leak oil onto your new clutch if not sealed). Good Luck - Chris

Geneva - There is really enough room to pull the engine alone? Did you have to unbolt the tranny mounts and lean
      it over?
      Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
      - Dennis Grant
      FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

^^did not unbolt tranny mounts. I even left the exhuast manifold on when I pulled it and put it back in. Just unbolted the engine mount and pulled the engine to the passenger side and hoisted it up. Not really that big of a deal.
        Hey Francis said he did it in 2 hours..lol...just a little inside joke!
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

cool, thanks for the help....so how much clearance would i need if i dropped the tranny? I have ramps, would those be high enough, they lift the car up about 10 inches. do u lift the the whole car, or just the front end?

Comment

you are gonna need more then that if you are dropping the tranny.....never pulled an engine before but I had the Festy engine out in less then an hour....makes it real easy to do the clutch....just my thoughts
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            I will sleep when I die!

Comment

how much do one of those pulleys cost to hold out the engine>>???

Comment

well that is a differant story...I borrowed one from a friend...you can probably reant one...only a day or 2 but I would ask some friends...they may have one you can borrow. If you do not have access to one....then I would drop the tranny from below...but you will need enough clearance to be able to slide the tranny out from under the car so you can work on it, 10 inches will not get it.
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                I will sleep when I die!

Comment

yeah, well....i got access to a few hydrolic jacks that go higher then 10 inches....its just that the ramps make things a bit safer.....how much room do u think i would need?

Comment

Well I would take a tape mesure...unless someone onhere could say for sure, and measure how tall the tranny is. As far as the ramps go that is no good...because you will have to pull the axles to drop the tranny, plus I think they would get in the way. Get yourself some jackstands if you are gonna try dropping it. They are not that expensive at autozone or the likes of.
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    I will sleep when I die!

Comment

yeah...cant use ramps if the axles arent there...lol....i was just thinking it would be safer, but i still wanna know the dimensions of the tranny so i know how much room i need to play around with....thanks for the tips btw

Comment

You live anywhere near Damkid? He may be able to offer some assitance....he lives in Ontario I believe.
                        89L Silver EFI auto
                        91GL Green Auto DD
                        I will sleep when I die!

Comment

yeah, i think he lives about 4 hours south from me.....he lives right near detroit if i'm not mistaken...i'll pm him

Comment

i live 45 mins south east of london, a little less than 2 hours away from brampton

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Yep, pulling the transmission is easier. I have done both the engine way and the transmission way.

joe
                              Originally posted by floydiancomplex
                              I've done it 5 or 6 times (both pulling the motor/tranny or just dropping the tranny). Dropping the tranny is by far
                              easier. Just pull the axles, disconnect the linkage, and drop the subframe (4 bolts). Be sure to support the engine
                              (I use a jack with a piece of wood under the oil pan) Take out the starter and unbolt the tranny. The hardest part
                              is lifting the tranny back on and aligning the spindle. the easiest part is you can do it by yourself. I did it with a pair
                              of jackstands in my yard. Its a 5-6 hour job out and in and I smoke alot of cigarettes. Also if you take the flywheel
                              off, change the rear main seal (It never hurts to think ahead) and make sure to use Gasket maker on the flywheel
                              bolts when reinstalling (they will leak oil onto your new clutch if not sealed). Good Luck - Chris

Geneva - There is really enough room to pull the engine alone? Did you have to unbolt the tranny mounts and lean
                              it over?
                              Dirty Bird Video www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3lZFu6xRNk
                              extreme unicycling with my Festiva http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xSEpsjCKQ0

Comment

Working...
                              X