won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• won't start

I found a '92L with 90k on it the other day. The lady said she parked it before winter and when spring came she started it up, and drove it to the front yard. After that I think she said it wouldn't start and had her boyfriend look at it. He thought it had stale gas in it.

So her boyfriend drained the gas tank, blew out the lines, replaced the fuel pump, and put in a new fuel filter. He also replaced the spark plugs.

I went out to work on the car today and try and get it running.

I did some tests on it and it has 190 PSI on all cylinders, spark at the coil and plugs, and fuel is getting to the injector rail (gas dripped out when I pulled the hose off). The gas smelled kind of odd, almost stale, but I don't think it has been in the tank long enough to get stale. Plus her boyfriend had to have drained the tank if he replaced everything fuel related.

I cleaned off the fusible links and swapped in a known-good VAF, and tried to start it.

It won't start, but I can get it to stumble for a few seconds and then die.

I adjusted the distributor and that didn't help things. I also looked for loose connections, and found none.

Any ideas?

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Gas dribbled out of the rail ??

It was not under pressure , when you pulled it loose .
    ------------------------------------------------
    The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
    Smart Passion white with H-D interior
    HD2500 Duramax Chevy
    Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
    Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
    Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
    Z28 LS1 power 500 +
    90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
    It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Originally posted by packrat427
      It was not under pressure , when you pulled it loose .

No.
      White '89L auto - Sold!
      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Did you check the ignition coil?
        91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Hey Tim,

have a friend turn the car over and see if fuel is coming out the hose after you disconnect it. that way you know for sure that the fuel pump is working. I told you about how mine was sitting for 5 years and the fuel pump did not work right? well ya, the fuel pump stopped working after 5 years of not working. oh yeah, gas dribbled out of mine too when I took off a gas line before I installed the new pump. the gas shouldnt dribble out, it should shoot out pretty aggressively. where shop glasses or just make sure it doesnt shoot in your eye balls.

hmmmmm, when I started the new b3 for the first time it grumbled and then died. it was because the air filter was not hooked up. Check to see if that air filter sensing thingamabob is working and all hooked up. use one of your other festivas air filter/sensor maybe. just transfer the whole unit. it takes 3 ten mm bolts and one electric connection.

hope this helps Tim

Joe
          Dirty Bird Video www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3lZFu6xRNk
          extreme unicycling with my Festiva http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xSEpsjCKQ0

Comment

oh yeah, my fuel pump makes no noise at all. but my dad's aspire fuel pump does. the manual says to listen for the noise but mine just doesnt make noise at all. I will let you know if I have any other ideas. My fuel injection is still working after the five years sitting in a back yard.
            Dirty Bird Video www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3lZFu6xRNk
            extreme unicycling with my Festiva http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xSEpsjCKQ0

Comment

Originally posted by josephfpu
              Hey Tim,

have a friend turn the car over and see if fuel is coming out the hose after you disconnect it. that way you know for sure that the fuel pump is working. I told you about how mine was sitting for 5 years and the fuel pump did not work right? well ya, the fuel pump stopped working after 5 years of not working. oh yeah, gas dribbled out of mine too when I took off a gas line before I installed the new pump. the gas shouldnt dribble out, it should shoot out pretty aggressively. where shop glasses or just make sure it doesnt shoot in your eye balls.

Joe
              Good idea. I'll bring someone with me next time to crank the engine so I can test the pump. It should work, since the lady said it was brand new, and there was evidence it had been replaced recently. I also checked the intertia switch and that seemed ok.

I've already had gas in my eye. It burns like hell and isn't something I want to repeat.

Check to see if that air filter sensing thingamabob is working and all hooked up. use one of your other festivas air filter/sensor maybe.
              I brought one of those with me and swapped them out. Made no difference at all.

Originally posted by ericsmith32
              Did you check the ignition coil?
              Yes. It knocked my on my butt so I know that works.

I also removed a spark plug, touched it to the metal engine, replaced the wire, and had the lady crank it. I saw a nice blue spark in the gap.

-Tim
              White '89L auto - Sold!
              Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

tell them its a basket case, offer them a few 100 for it.

you have a fuel flow problem or possibly a skipped timing belt. minor irritations.

gas is 3.50 a gal hereabouts..... sieze the festiva!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndmouse
                  tell them its a basket case, offer them a few 100 for it.
                  Already did... $200 and it was mine!
                  White '89L auto - Sold!
                  Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Working...
                  X